Open Cans as Upgrade from HD580?
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gfabbri

New Head-Fier
All -

Looking for open cans as an upgrade from / alternative to my 580s.

I love the 580s, but for some music (rock/pop, hard bop), I am looking for something quicker and a little more forward.

Budget is $1,000 or less, excluding the balanced cables I'll need. Source is an old but good Headroom balanced home Amp with DAC, upgraded power supply, stepped attenuators, etc.

So far the Focal Elears seem like a solid contender -- others to consider?

Thanks,

G

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm a huge planar fan... Have you auditioned something from Audeze or Hifiman?

I have the 580s as well and my LCD-2s compliment them nicely.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 12
I haven't. Kinda scared off by build quality / weight rants on Audeze, but I presume no issues with yours? How would you compare the sound with the Sennheisers?

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 12
I have the LCD-2s, LCD-XC and the EL-8s. I have had ZERO issues with any of them and the build quality is fantastic in my opinion especially on the EL-8s. If something does go wrong i know they will stand behind them. I believe the drivers have a 5 year warrant on them.

Yes, they are on the heavy side but I really don't notice it. I had my LCD-XCs on for well over an hour listing to an LP the other day with no issues. I actually find the Audezes more comfortable than the Senns. They have pretty high clamping force.

The Audeze LCD line has this awesome vintage feel to them. They have the really nice wood and leather. Hard to beat. The 580s are very functional and no frills.

When the Audezes show up at your door and you open that heavy duty travel case and you pick them up for the first time... pretty nice feeling.

I would need to listen to the 580s again to say for sure. I haven't used them in a while. The Audezes have a more intimate and warmer sounding. Stringed instruments sound amazing on the Audeze especially guitar. That is where planar really shines.

Your best bet it to go to a local meet or headphone shop that has a pair you can demo.

My favorite overall setup right now is my EL-8Cs right out of my iBasso DX200 with the balanced cable. Super accurate sound with a nice sparkle in the high end.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 12
I love everything about past my lcd2.2 non fazor except the weight. Focal Elear is like a steroid version of HD650 with better clarity, soundstage and cleaner bass; but, I don't feel like the extra money worth the elear IMO.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 12
The Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO seems to receive raving review as an open-back headphones with neutral sound, lots of people consider it to be better than the Elear, but it has kind of alightly elevated treble.
Awesome. Thanks to all of you who responded!

Current list of candidates:
Elear
LCD 2
1990 Pro

Looking forward to trying them out!

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 12
Awesome. Thanks to all of you who responded!

Current list of candidates:
Elear
LCD 2
1990 Pro

Looking forward to trying them out!
Happy to help! Let us know how it goes.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 12
I'm sorry to break this down to you, but the only way of upgrading and not sidegrading on the Sennheiser HD 580 is picking up a used Stax SR-009.
They have an extremely similar frequency response - with the exception of the 009 having actual sub-bass extension and vastly more resolution
than anything labelled Sennheiser short of an SDR modded and hardwired 800 out of an ECStudio. (Im looking at you, Orpheus systems...)

That already is a quarter of the story of modern two-Channel audio.

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 12
Huh. I'm confused. So the only headphones that are better than the HD580 are the SR-009? Or only within a certain price range? How can that be?

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 12
If you're looking to stay similar to the HD 580 tonality and presentation, I'd have two suggestions:

- The HD 650. I know, "duh!" but they may be overlooked as "too similar." They do offer some more refinement, more bottom end, etc. "Development improves the breed" and all that. Could re-use your existing cables from the 580 for differential operation.

- The Koss ESP/950. I would rate these as a good evolution/upgrade from the 580 *or* the 600/650. Similar neutral-ish tonality, but (lots) faster, more detailed, better imaging, better dynamics, etc. They come with their own amp so no need to worry on cables either.

If you want to get into different tonality that will play nice with rock/pop/etc nonetheless I'd have another two suggestions:

- Grado RS-1. These are really the perfect "counter-point" to the Senn/Koss sound. Very energetic, very punchy, but still detailed and clean sounding. Will make guitars really bite, cymbals really crash, and so forth, but you give some on bass extension, and a bit more on soundstage size and positioning ("intimate" is a good word to describe these). Not sure they need to be re-wired for differential drive (they're very easy to drive), but I've read in various places over the years that Grado will apparently re-cable headphones for a small fee.

- Audio-Technica ATH-A2000X. I know, I know, "they're a closed headphone!" but they're a really really good closed headphone. Neutral, but not "boring" - very light/airy sound, clean bass, crystal-clear top-end, kind of a "midway" between the Grado and Koss/Senn sound. And some isolation, which can be nice sometimes (not just to block out the world but also for honing in on micro detail depending on how loud your listening environment is ofc). Also very easy to drive, and again not sure they'd really need to be run for differential unless its just a compatibility thing for your gear (these are probably the most sensitive cans mentioned here).

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 12
The Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO seems to receive raving review as an open-back headphones with neutral sound, lots of people consider it to be better than the Elear, but it has kind of alightly elevated treble.
I would agree with this and also add the Beyer Amiron to your try list. I feel they are a progression to the hd 650. They have a little more top end and bass with improved clarity without being bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back