open-backed, slightly bassier alternative to SR225?
Nov 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wordfool

100+ Head-Fier
Love my Grado SR225s but I'm now listening to more electronic music and the bass is obviously not deep enough to make that genre shine, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternative, open cans that go a little lower yet still have the same dynamic punch and speed as the grados, for roughly the same price. Does such a beast exist, or are all open cans in that price range gonna have inherently the same type of bass as the grados? Will Allessandros give me what I'm looking for? I tried some of the mod suggested and while they do subtly change the bass profile, they do not seem to give quite enough oomph for electronica. 

I find the Grados pretty comfortable and love their light weight and openness that allows me to remain connected with the world around me (I have Shure SRH840s for those times I want isolation). Hence my desire for open replacements. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Sounds like Ultrasone HFI-580 would be a good option, they are known for being a forward sounding like Grados and also fairly bright (not quite as usual Grados but fairly close anyway), pack a decent amount of punch (for you more than enough probably) and is rather "fast" but will definitely go deeper than the Grados and they fit well for electronica. If you like Grado sound with more bass then Ultrasone should fit the bill. I haven't tested them but I've read lots about them and I'm sure most Ultrasone guys could relate to what I wrote.

EDIT: nevermind, forgot you wanted open.... otherwise they had fit the bill perfectly. Well perhaps the Allessandros could be what you'd be looking for, some1 else can probably fill you out more on that, haven't got much idea about those. There's also DT880 that goes deep but might lack some punch and they are perhaps slightly over your budget.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Any other suggestions anyone? I'm curious if the AKG K240 might fit the bill, or any Beyers

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 10
If your interested in trying some lower cost open headphones and live in Canada I found the the ONN/QNN open headphone to sound very good giving the best sonic aspects of the AD700/900 and the HD600 with slightly less detail. The build quality is a bit low and they need to be recabled but are very low risk due to Wal-Marts return policy. There is also the Superlux HD668B which are still available and seem to have very good reviews. I found this Canadian online reseller and there is also http://ralaudio.com/superlux-hd668-professional-semiopen-enhanced-bass-p-4178.html but I have to say I have no idea what either company is like to deal with (I have placed an order with the PAW though).

Feb 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Walmart has the QNN cans for 19.99.  So, you think they're worth the money and worthy of a re-cable?  I've never re-cabled.  What would I use and where to source it?

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 10
The vent mod will add quite a bit of bass. I would say easily 50% or more. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 10
The amplifier help will bring out bass if it has extra bass boost feature.

Feb 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Love my Grado SR225s but I'm now listening to more electronic music and the bass is obviously not deep enough to make that genre shine, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for alternative, open cans that go a little lower yet still have the same dynamic punch and speed as the grados, for roughly the same price. Does such a beast exist, or are all open cans in that price range gonna have inherently the same type of bass as the grados?

HF-1 have exactly the sound of SR225 (since they are SR225 drivers in wooden cups) with deeper, stronger bass and slightly smoother treble.  They are a poor man's RS-1 imo.  You might still want to consider another brand if you're listening to electronic music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back