Open backed cans for "bassheads?"
Jul 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

spinnin

Head-Fier
I wouldn't classify myself as a "basshead" however, when I tried out some "neutral" sounding cans (popular consensus here at head-fi) I found the sound lacking in the low end, enough so that I wanted more; Not much more, mind you, but more, nonetheless.

What are my options for an open backed set of headphones that has a well balanced sound with a little extra oomph in the bottom end. I tend to shy away from overly bright / sibilant headphones, just my preference - but I still want to hear the details without making my ears bleed.

I want to consider all my options here, from budget to the $400 range, max.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm (or Premium 600-Ohm) headphones
And a headphone amplifier.

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 14
I don't think there's any open headphones that has enough bass to truly satisfy a basshead.
The Philips Fidelio X1 will probably be your best bet.

I would stay away from the beyer, overly bright would be an understatement with them.

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 14
I wouldn't classify myself as a "basshead" however, when I tried out some "neutral" sounding cans (popular consensus here at head-fi) I found the sound lacking in the low end, enough so that I wanted more; Not much more, mind you, but more, nonetheless.

Which neutral headphones did you try?

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 14
I've had the Senn PX100, PX200, Jaycar Pro Monitor Headphones.

Everything else has been slanted more toward some thump in the low end.

I have the semi-open Superlux HD 681 & 681 Evo, but I wouldn't classify them as neutral.

Everything else I've had has been a closed back or an IEM, and I'm not looking for an IEM.

I'm after the wide open sound stage and separation that an open backed design is more likely to deliver. I don't want a harsh / sibilant sound on the top end, I'd like forward midrange, and bass that has presence but isn't over powering. Neutral bass isn't what I'm after.

Thank you for all of your suggestions thus far, much appreciated!

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Ultrasone Pro 2900, or the HE-400 

Jul 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I have the semi-open Superlux HD 681 & 681 Evo

I'm a little bit of a fan of Superlux (Samson) headphones, what is your personal opinion/view on the 681s?

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I don't think there's any open headphones that has enough bass to truly satisfy a basshead.
The Philips Fidelio X1 will probably be your best bet.

I would stay away from the beyer, overly bright would be an understatement with them.

+1, excellent suggestion by RoMee. Beyers are really bright (as are most Ultrasones), you won't like them if you prefer dark sounding signature.

Jul 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 14
You may also like the M100, they are semi open. They are rather dark, and has a bass emphasis , but not as much as the bass monsters like the LP2,  XB500, Pro700MKII etc (may still be too much for you though). Cheers, :D

Jul 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 14
will definitely say HE-400. not bright, not really dark either. very good midrange and nice very well-controlled bass.

I don't think you want basshead cans though... and the HE-400 are not that. most basshead cans have a lot of treble energy to "balance" it out and sound more exciting.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
I'm a little bit of a fan of Superlux (Samson) headphones, what is your personal opinion/view on the 681s?

I like the original 681's. I don't find them to be overly bright, like a lot of other people. I think they have very good bass response. I think the mids are a little recessed (Maybe  U shaped listening curve?).

They get hot on my ears after a while but they are very lightweight. Unfortunately, the biggest knock I have against them is their looks or, at least, how they look on me - not becoming in any way shape or form. lol.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
You may also like the M100, they are semi open. They are rather dark, and has a bass emphasis , but not as much as the bass monsters like the LP2,  XB500, Pro700MKII etc (may still be too much for you though). Cheers, :D

V-Moda M100? To me, that is more of a closed back design with a vented / ported enclosure for the bass response. I had the Crossfade LP and did not care for their sound (they looked amazing though). I have the M-80 and LOVE them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back