Open-back recommendations
Apr 1, 2014 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kuschty Rye

New Head-Fier
For the last few years I've been using Sennheiser HD380 pros. I use these for both listening to music and as monitors in a home recording studio. I've been really pleased with these, but I'm looking to buy a second pair, predominantly more for music and movies. To go for something a bit different than I've been used to I'm looking at open back. In particular:

Grado SR225i
Sennheiser HD 598
AKG Q701

My budget is around $200.

I listen to a lot of folk, country, rock and pop. Paul Simon, Richard Thompson, Jackson Browne, Tom Waits, Rodney Crowell, Lindsey Buckingham, Martin Simpson, etc....  I very rarely listen to rap or r n b.

Also, I love my home theatre setup, but the sound of explosions and light sabres can disturb others late at night!

Would be great to hear any thoughts!

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 17
Good choice of headphones to choose between. Those three all have quite different sound signatures. Anyway you can try to hear any of them?

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 17
I have only heard the Q701 of the headphones you've listed, but IMO the Q701 is an excellent choice for the type of music you've listed. It has a nice midrange and a huge soundstage. If you want something different, the enormous soundstage of the AKGs is really something else. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 17
Not easily.... I am visiting NYC next week, so there maybe a bit more of an opportunity than where I'm currently based.

If you can hear one of them, then it would make more sense in terms of how people describe them relation to each other.

The Grados might be hard to find to try, but the other two, you might have some luck with :)

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Believe me and get Grado SR225i. You will not regret

I don't know. I love my SR225i. They are one of my favorite all time headphones. But the Q701 and HD598 are no slouch, and they would be a better choice for some people's listening tastes.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 17
I don't know. I love my SR225i. They are one of my favorite all time headphones. But the Q701 and HD598 are no slouch, and they would be a better choice for some people's listening tastes.

I would cross the Q701 off the list if the OP likes lots of bass...just to be on the safe side.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 17
I have had the Grado 225 for quite a few years. It is a great headphone and a lot of fun to listen to. It really is great for any form of rock, it does guitars especially well. I also like it's fast bass, it doesn't have a lot of bass, but the bass it does have is excellent.  I do find it fatiguing as far as comfort is concerned. After an hour or so of use my ears usually start to burn. I like to use them in short bursts of an hour or less. Also consider the Beyerdynamic DT880. Very comfortable and is right in line with the other choices on your list and your preferred music. I do 95% of my music listening on mine.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 17
I see you have a budget of around $200 but if you could go $299 the HE400 are very good if not the Q701 are nice have not heard the sr225i. The DT880 may be worth a look too.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back