Open back, less portable, more versatile alternative to V-Moda M100? ~$300 budget
Jan 1, 2016 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dukejohn

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I recently purchased the V-Moda M100s off Amazon. I LOVE their bass and they are absolutely perfect for my EDM music. Not so great for other styles of music (I like Foster the People, Two Door Cinema Club, The Black Keys, some Fall Out Boy, etc.), but I did my research and pretty much expected this.

However, what I did NOT expect was how much sound they leaked. I've never owned a pair of closed back headphones and was foolishly under the impression I could play them at a decent volume in my school's dead silent library without bothering anyone... Yeah, not even close. Because of this, I'm willing to return them for something that will solely be used at home. I'm wondering if there is anything out there with a similarly warm/"fun" sound signature and lots of bass, but a wider soundstage, more forward mids, and crisper vocals. I understand open back headphones will have less bass, but I still want something as bass-y as possible (so no HD598s for example).

I'm looking to spend about $300. The headphones will be played from my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 6s. No amp yet, but I'd be willing to get a <$100 Fiio or something on top of the $300 headphones. 

Thanks for any advice guys - I really appreciate it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 3
Philips Fidelio X2 fits the sound signature you described and from personal experience, I really enjoy this headphone. You shouldn't have any problems driving it with your Macbook so no need to worry about an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back