open back iem's
Jun 1, 2021 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Shabda

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, thank your for taking the time to comment!

As for the topic, I think I really mean "non-sealaed" e.g. appe wired earbuds circa late 2010s, current standard issue apple iem's (30 bucks ish).

The question: is there a formal category here? what are the wortwhile iem's of this "fit" "style" "type" --> "open back"

More specifically, I'd really like to buy a better driver in the same form factor as the current apple wired earbud

Thank you all for your input!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 13
Check out the Audeze iSine series.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi all, thank your for taking the time to comment!

As for the topic, I think I really mean "non-sealaed" e.g. appe wired earbuds circa late 2010s, current standard issue apple iem's (30 bucks ish).

The question: is there a formal category here? what are the wortwhile iem's of this "fit" "style" "type" --> "open back"

More specifically, I'd really like to buy a better driver in the same form factor as the current apple wired earbud

Thank you all for your input!
Are you talking about ear pods?
1622619338541.png

Or earbuds?
1622619371755.png

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 13
Check out the Audeze iSine series.

Those seem like they tick the "open back" box for iem's but I am particularly sensitive to iem's that squeeze to make a seal (these seem like they would a bit but it's hard to tell). I'm quite taken by the apple iem's ("ear pods" as shown in GREQ's post) fit in how it just rests in the ear cavity and so has this open quality as well. I find the bose silicone shape that they use in their soundsport these days also to be very agreeable comfort wise because there is no squeezing whatsoever, but the sound quality is not great for me.

Jun 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 13
Those seem like they tick the "open back" box for iem's but I am particularly sensitive to iem's that squeeze to make a seal (these seem like they would a bit but it's hard to tell). I'm quite taken by the apple iem's ("ear pods" as shown in GREQ's post) fit in how it just rests in the ear cavity and so has this open quality as well. I find the bose silicone shape that they use in their soundsport these days also to be very agreeable comfort wise because there is no squeezing whatsoever, but the sound quality is not great for me.

I understand. Check out the FiiO EM5 - they sound terrific.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 13
So let me try to get this straight

IEM’s by definition go deeper into the ear canal?

Ear buds: rest in the outer ear

Ear pods: an apple product where the shape became more angular and so put the driver a little closer to the inner ear but still rests on the outer ear (still ear buds)

Bose soundsport ear buds: well-designed tips, don’t require squeeze fit like iem’s

Jun 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 13
So let me try to get this straight

IEM’s by definition go deeper into the ear canal?

Ear buds: rest in the outer ear

Ear pods: an apple product where the shape became more angular and so put the driver a little closer to the inner ear but still rests on the outer ear (still ear buds)

Bose soundsport ear buds: well-designed tips, don’t require squeeze fit like iem’s
Pretty much nailed it I'd say.

It might be worth noting there are MANY designs of IEMs and ear buds for different ear shapes, although there are people who are pretty much completely unable to use any of them due to anatomical differences.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Sep 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #13 of 13
So brief thoughts on the Fiio EM5's

Sound was great, can be very much bass boosted with an amp and parametric eq. Clarity is conserved.

Unfortunately my right ear hurt from the weight of them pushing down on the outer part of my ear. Apparently my right ear is just a little bit smaller than my left so it didnt go in quite far enough to rest comfortably.

I think this is why I like the apple pods (wired) that are kind of cone shaped, that is, they can go in to slightly different depths on each side. Also, the lighter weight always helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back