Open Back Headphones Under $500
Dec 9, 2016 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of open back full size over ear headphones that will suit my needs. I listen to mostly hip-hop/rap but I also listen to rock, pop, indie, and some country. I like a neutral sound. I will be using this mostly off of my laptop at home and I do not have a dac and/or an amp. I will most likely get a dac and amp combo later on just not right now. What is the best pair of cans for under $500 that you guys would recommend to me?

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 10
"At home" says "isolation doesn't matter" to me, but "off my laptop" says "mobile user." Those two usually don't comport (if you're going to use these mobile, a closed-back can would be better).

Anyways, for an open can given your budget: Sennheiser HD 600 and pick up an amp (there's tons of options) while you're there - whole thing will be out the door for under $500 and do a good job with anything you throw at it. :)

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 10
I would take a hard look at Audioquest Nighthawks, while they are on sell for $348. They are a very nice sounding headphone with great sub bass. Which would give you the bass for hip-hop & rap, and very good mids for vocals. The high frequency is there but no harshness at all. Just a great buy especially for the sale price ! After the wooden colored ones are gone, they will be back up to normal price of $599.

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 10
I would take a hard look at Audioquest Nighthawks, while they are on sell for $348. They are a very nice sounding headphone with great sub bass. Which would give you the bass for hip-hop & rap, and very good mids for vocals. The high frequency is there but no harshness at all. Just a great buy especially for the sale price ! After the wooden colored ones are gone, they will be back up to normal price of $599.

Just out of curiosity: they're going to become non-wooden colored at $599 too? :confused:

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 10
"At home" says "isolation doesn't matter" to me, but "off my laptop" says "mobile user." Those two usually don't comport (if you're going to use these mobile, a closed-back can would be better).

Anyways, for an open can given your budget: Sennheiser HD 600 and pick up an amp (there's tons of options) while you're there - whole thing will be out the door for under $500 and do a good job with anything you throw at it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will be using them at home just don't have a desktop, so I will be listening to them off of my laptop or iphone 7 plus for now until I get an amp too. How about the Hifiman HE-400i headphones? Was looking between these and the HD600's and some are saying they are better especially because they are planars. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 10
I haven't heard the HE-400i that I'm aware of (I recently got to demo a number of HiFiMan cans; none really impressed me and they're all so blessed heavy), but I would strongly object to any reasoning that's "they are better because they are [some generalizable quality]" (e.g. "they are better because they are open" or "they are better because they are blue" or whatever). This is an admittedly limited/biased comparison given that I don't own any of the HFM cans, and lived with Senns for almost 6 years, but I'd take the Senns (if for no other reason than they're not so blessed heavy). :)

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 10
I've found the Nighthawks to be great for hip-hop and most genres I've thrown at them. HD600s need an amp and I don't personally think they're great for hip-hop, not enough bass impact or extension

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 10

I will be using them at home just don't have a desktop, so I will be listening to them off of my laptop or iphone 7 plus for now until I get an amp too. How about the Hifiman HE-400i headphones? Was looking between these and the HD600's and some are saying they are better especially because they are planars. 

I would be wary of anyone telling you flat out that a pair of headphones is "better' because they're planars.

They're a different sound, which is up to you to judge if you do. I personally love me some good planars or dynamic headphones. Choose based on sound, not based on technology. There's nothing in either tech that makes one superior to the other.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #9 of 10
I've found the Nighthawks to be great for hip-hop and most genres I've thrown at them. HD600s need an amp and I don't personally think they're great for hip-hop, not enough bass impact or extension

Agreed...I think HD600s are a very good headphone,if not legendary,but like many others,after owning them for awhile I found them "boring"...not enough slam for trance,not enough bite for metal,not enough soundstage for classical etc....They dont suck with anything,but theyre not the best at anything either IMO.

I also agree that just because a headphone is a planar doesnt automatically make it better sounding,it is def subjective.However I am one of those dudes who does like planar sound for a lot of music.I own 2 planar headphones with a 3rd on its way...but i like dynamic headphones too...as has been said before its a matter of tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back