Open-Back Headphones under $400
Oct 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #31 of 49
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the mad dogs or the Philips x1 now after Treoo told me they have no stock for the ma900.

Heard that the cable that come with the Philips x1 is not very good and that there will be a new revision of the x1, hence still thinking whether to buy that or not...
frown.gif

Any suggestions? I went to stereo to try out the hd650 with their ifi iCans and I like it very much! However I would like to do some slow upgrades after I buy my headphone, like aune t1 or jds labs C5D or the fiio E17 after 1-2 months after getting the headphone.

If you've found the HD650 matching to your preference in sound, then by all means, that's what you should save up for. Also, the HD650 is known to be very high in scalability. However, without a decent amplifier, the X1 would be a better headphone. It's easy to find a replacement cable and doesn't necessarily have to be those silver plated copper ones or those 99.999% pure whatevers, just a cable with low resistance.

The Mad Dogs have the planar sound and transients but also have certain amplification requirements. Between the Mad Dogs and the HD650, it's a matter of personal preference and basically planar magnetic vs dynamic driver.

Where did you hear about the X1 revision? I've seen some posts that say that Philips MIGHT be making one following the release of the M1 bluetooth and the L2 but I think these are just speculations.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #32 of 49

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting the mad dogs or the Philips x1 now after Treoo told me they have no stock for the ma900.

Heard that the cable that come with the Philips x1 is not very good and that there will be a new revision of the x1, hence still thinking whether to buy that or not...
frown.gif

Any suggestions? I went to stereo to try out the hd650 with their ifi iCans and I like it very much! However I would like to do some slow upgrades after I buy my headphone, like aune t1 or jds labs C5D or the fiio E17 after 1-2 months after getting the headphone.

If you've found the HD650 matching to your preference in sound, then by all means, that's what you should save up for. Also, the HD650 is known to be very high in scalability. However, without a decent amplifier, the X1 would be a better headphone. It's easy to find a replacement cable and doesn't necessarily have to be those silver plated copper ones or those 99.999% pure whatevers, just a cable with low resistance.

The Mad Dogs have the planar sound and transients but also have certain amplification requirements. Between the Mad Dogs and the HD650, it's a matter of personal preference and basically planar magnetic vs dynamic driver.

Where did you hear about the X1 revision? I've seen some posts that say that Philips MIGHT be making one following the release of the M1 bluetooth and the L2 but I think these are just speculations.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I heard the X1 revision here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2970 one of the middle posts of that page by benbenkr.

The Mad Dogs and HD650. Do they sound the same together with the same amp to drive them? Let's say the O2 as it's one of the most neutral amps.

Also, is it possible to drive the HD650 with a portable set up? Such as my Fidelia(OSX) + MacBook Air (mid 2013) + FiiO E17 or any amp or amp/dac that has a battery inside? + the HD650?

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #33 of 49
Thanks for the prompt reply, I heard the X1 revision here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/2970 one of the middle posts of that page by benbenkr.

The Mad Dogs and HD650. Do they sound the same together with the same amp to drive them? Let's say the O2 as it's one of the most neutral amps.

Also, is it possible to drive the HD650 with a portable set up? Such as my Fidelia(OSX) + MacBook Air (mid 2013) + FiiO E17 or any amp or amp/dac that has a battery inside? + the HD650?

Thanks for the link. Oh hey look I commented on the same page… must've missed that post.

The HD650 is easier to drive and will be easily driven by both the O2 and the E17. The Mad Dogs can be driven by the E17 and the O2 but by being a planar, will be improve with more current. The sound signatures of the two are comparable but not necessarily similar. They're transparent to the source but the HD650 for me is the more musical of the two. They have a smoother and warmer tonal balance. The problem with this is that it may come off as too thick for certain genres.

The Mad Dogs have a more energetic sound which would do well with fast music. However, the Mad Dogs are dryer in the treble and the mids. They do work better as monitoring headphones as detail is more apparent through these.

Oh and they won't exactly sound the same as again, the two headphones have different qualities to them. With a neutral and uncolored amp like the O2, their differences would be even more noticeable.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #34 of 49

Thanks for the link. Oh hey look I commented on the same page… must've missed that post.

The HD650 is easier to drive and will be easily driven by both the O2 and the E17. The Mad Dogs can be driven by the E17 and the O2 but by being a planar, will be improve with more current. The sound signatures of the two are comparable but not necessarily similar. They're transparent to the source but the HD650 for me is the more musical of the two. They have a smoother and warmer tonal balance. The problem with this is that it may come off as too thick for certain genres.

The Mad Dogs have a more energetic sound which would do well with fast music. However, the Mad Dogs are dryer in the treble and the mids. They do work better as monitoring headphones as detail is more apparent through these.

Oh and they won't exactly sound the same as again, the two headphones have different qualities to them. With a neutral and uncolored amp like the O2, their differences would be even more noticeable.

I see, thank you so much for the comparison. I think I'll get the Mad Dogs, then probably a good amp like the Aune T1, or the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII.

After that, then probably after a few more months, then I'll probably go for the HD650 or maybe Audeze LCD 2 if I have the money :p if not, I'll probably try out the Sony MA900 first :)

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #35 of 49

frown.gif

Any suggestions?
I went to stereo to try out the hd650 with their ifi iCans and I like it very much! However I would like to do some slow upgrades after I buy my headphone, like aune t1 or jds labs C5D or the fiio E17 after 1-2 months after getting the headphone.

I like the X1 a lot.  Replaced the stock cable immediately - very simple to do since
the headphones have a plain 3.5mm input.  I have several mini to mini cables; using
an AudioQuest with the X1's and really like the sound.

As for upgrades, I guess in the world of tech there always will be upgrades;
sometimes the older model was the better one.  (e.g. the Senn PX100 vs.
PX00ii, and many other examples).

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #36 of 49
There are some portable headphone amp that is capable of driving the HD650 to decent volume but one thing... You will not get the most out of it. Powerful portable amp like FiiO E12, iBasso PB2 and ALO Audio The Continental V3 are good examples.

I wish I can try the iFi line xD

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #37 of 49
There are some portable headphone amp that is capable of driving the HD650 to decent volume but one thing... You will not get the most out of it. Powerful portable amp like FiiO E12, iBasso PB2 and ALO Audio The Continental V3 are good examples.

I wish I can try the iFi line xD

You've heard the HD650 with the Continental V3?? How do they sound?

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #39 of 49
Nope. But the Continental does seem to be capable of driving the HD650
smily_headphones1.gif
I doubt it will drive it will full potential thought... HD650 is really hard to drive to me...

On the contrary, I've read that the Continental line, being hybrids, works really well with the HD650. Why did the amplifier have to be so expensive? It's more expensive than the HD650…

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #40 of 49
Nope. But the Continental does seem to be capable of driving the HD650
smily_headphones1.gif
I doubt it will drive it will full potential thought... HD650 is really hard to drive to me...

On the contrary, I've read that the Continental line, being hybrids, works really well with the HD650. Why did the amplifier have to be so expensive? It's more expensive than the HD650…

Because they are tube... And are potable :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #41 of 49
Because they are tube... And are potable
smily_headphones1.gif

I KNOW… but but but… cost cutting… uhh… economies of scale… huh… *insert one more business and management term* if HiFiMan could do it, so can ALO… I wish… but then again… HiFiMan's Chinese

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #42 of 49
Because they are tube... And are potable
smily_headphones1.gif

I KNOW… but but but… cost cutting… uhh… economies of scale… huh… *insert one more business and management term* if HiFiMan could do it, so can ALO… I wish… but then again… HiFiMan's Chinese

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no Hifiman tube amp with a built in battery so that we can use it with our smartphone / DAP. XD

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #43 of 49
Hopefully the leckerton uha6s can drive the mad dogs with no problem.. I'm going to test my mad dogs with all jds and fiio amps to see which are the best.

My mad dogs will arrive soon :)

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #44 of 49
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no Hifiman tube amp with a built in battery so that we can use it with our smartphone / DAP. XD

I meant the HE-500 when they lowered it from $899!! technological economies of scale

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #45 of 49
Hopefully the leckerton uha6s can drive the mad dogs with no problem.. I'm going to test my mad dogs with all jds and fiio amps to see which are the best.

My mad dogs will arrive soon
smily_headphones1.gif

good luck!! I'm unsure of the Leckerton but I've heard people driving their Mad Dogs with O2s and E12s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back