Open back headphones recommendations.
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lillie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've recently bought a Fiio x3ii and Sennheiser momentum 2.0 over ear headphones .Ive always enjoyed music and am now enjoying listening to lossless music. I like the momentums for portability but would like to try some open phones for home use and experience that wide soundstage they have.

I enjoy the sound of the momentums and listen to a range of music but mostly rock, alternative rock so I do enjoy bass but not overpowering.
I'm considering the Sennheiser hd598 or Philips fidelity X2. I'm wondering if I might find the 598's a bit bass light but could pair with an amp like Fiio e11k for the bass boost.

Has anyone any experience of using any of these headphones with the Fiio x3ii or any other recommendations .

Thanks in advance.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi, I've recently bought a Fiio x3ii and Sennheiser momentum 2.0 over ear headphones .Ive always enjoyed music and am now enjoying listening to lossless music. I like the momentums for portability but would like to try some open phones for home use and experience that wide soundstage they have.

I enjoy the sound of the momentums and listen to a range of music but mostly rock, alternative rock so I do enjoy bass but not overpowering.
I'm considering the Sennheiser hd598 or Philips fidelity X2. I'm wondering if I might find the 598's a bit bass light but could pair with an amp like Fiio e11k for the bass boost.

Has anyone any experience of using any of these headphones with the Fiio x3ii or any other recommendations .

Thanks in advance.

The 598 does scale with an amp and midbass is good. Like many open headphones, the sub bass is rolled off. This improves noticeably with an amp. I would consider its overall tonal nature to be fairly balanced. I like mine a lot. The X2 is totally different. It is bass-emphasized, not balanced. If you like bass a lot, it's the open headphone for you. I would add the HE400S to your list. You might read about it. It does not require an amp. I believe it is an upgrade from the X2 and the 598--my opinion only. It is beautifully voiced with detail, balance, and an exquisite midrange to boot. The bass is a wee bit light with stock pads and many owners swap the pads out for Focus A's, claiming a good deal of improvement in the bass response with the change. I haven't heard the X3 II, sorry. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi and thanks for your reply I'm reading about your recommendation Hifiman 400s looks interesting I'll certainly consider them . Regarding the Sennheiser 598 would a Fiio E11k amp be good enough to add some bass and detail do you think?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back