Open-back headphones: Philips Fidelio X2XR vs Sennheiser HD 599
Nov 2, 2019 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tatalor51

New Head-Fier
Want to buy a pair of open back headphones and I am currently considering Philips Fidelio X2HR from Amazon UK, priced at 215E and Sennheiser HD 599 from a local store, priced at 120E. Listened to the second one and I like the sound but heard pretty great things about the Fidelio and I really like the way they look (from the pictures). Question is, does it worth the almost double the price compared to the Sennheiser?

Will be using FiiO K3 and Audioengine D3 as DACs, I will use a Tidal HiFi account and I mostly listen to rock, alternative and some brit pop (Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, REM, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Tom Petty, Radiohead, Suede, Morrissey, Depeche Mode).

Thanks in advance!

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 7
Hey, i own Them both but im not An aidiofile.

Personaly i like the sound of the philips X2 Better but this is a personal taste. Its a bit warmer sounding and less reveiling in the mids/highs but still really good. This make the bass sound more prominent

The hd599 sounds amazing in the trebble and highs but sound a bit harsh if the source or recording of the music is not 100% propper, with my Fiio M5 they tend to be a bit to Bright to my taste (and the hd599 is not a Bright headphone)

Sound stage is good on Both, like the stage on the X2 Better for gaming like the stage of the hd599 Better for the rare occasion of classic music.

Mind that the X2 is heavy and the hd599 is lighter.
Personaly like the fit and comfort of the X2 better.

So in short of you want a closer to recording sound the hd599 is Better, if you like a bit more bass and music comfort the X2 is Better.

But of you like the fitt and sound of the hd599 the X2 is noth worth the 100+.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Ended up ordering X2 from Amazon Warehouse deals, like new they say, at 150E, meaning a 65E discount compared to full price.

I just might get the HD 599 too, still thinking about it.

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Nice price for the X2 hope it you wil bring you joy

They are Both great, and if i only had the X2 i would not have bought the hd599.

But i bought the hd599 to replace my x1 (ear cups are lose and not replacable). Orderd the X2 within a week.

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Nice price for the X2 hope it you wil bring you joy

They are Both great, and if i only had the X2 i would not have bought the hd599.

But i bought the hd599 to replace my x1 (ear cups are lose and not replacable). Orderd the X2 within a week.
Thank you! Arrival date is one week for now, hope they are fine being a Warehouse deal, but from what I read Amazon are generally ok in this regard.

Now, are the 599 different enough to be worth buying them too for 120E, I wonder?

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Depends, if you can easly miss the money the hd599 is worth it.

They are Both warm sounding headphones, the X2 is warmer than the hd599. The hd599 has more up front trebble and highs the X2 deeper and more detailed lows.

But for most music you mentioned i would use the X2 mabey for rem and depachemode i would pick the hd599.

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Tried some songs for i normaly use the hd599 on the X2 (tell him by Celine Dion and barbera Streisand) on the X2 and to be fair after some Brain burn in you dont need the hd599.

It Just sound a tat different, highs are les perfect.but the differance is small and not worth buying the hd599 for.

Also listend to Leonhard Cohen: you want it darker and its awsome on the x2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back