Open back headphones for music production recomendation.
Jul 29, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #34 of 91
I've finally decided to try on the AKG K612 because i have been looking for other headphones in that price range and I havenf found anything better for me.

Between this amps+dacs, which ones do you recommend me for this headphones?

Fiio E10K
Schiit Magni 2+Modi
Schiit Fulla 2
Objective 2+ODAC

I´ve got already a motherboard that includes the ALC1150, should I consider buying only an amp and later getting the DAC?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #35 of 91
The 1150 isnt bad at all. Maybe your mainboard already has an amp ic on board.
From that list Schiit Modi2/Magni2 stack or Objective stack. If our fellow head-fiers are to be believed, they should sound about the same.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #36 of 91
Hello, thanks for the answer, the amp that my motherboard contains is the N5532 (Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5), up to 600 ohms, but maybe an amp is needed to reach the max potential from this headphones, anyways I will try the headphones with the motherboard first before getting an amp.

I just want to know how much different is the latency between an amp for headphones and an audio interface and which one is the more apropiate for music production if Im going to record a microphone and some instruments. Should I maybe get an audio interface with a good amp (if does exist something good for less than 300 dollars)?

Or should I buy both and produce with the headphones connected to the audio interface and then mastering and mixing with the headphone amp?

Basically my question is if I need to connect my headphones to the audio interface when producing or if there is no problem by not using the headphones input from the audio interface.

///

Ive heard a particular comment that says that the Schiit stack provides an aggressive sound to the Akg K612, what could it refers on?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #37 of 91
Hi, for music production, you will need to monitor with the interface headphone output, and you will need an interface with a fair bit of juice to drive the K612s.

Like I said in a previous post, the K612's are fine for tracking and are supremely comfortable, but not a good recommendation for mixing. They do not represent the sound of a flat pair of studio monitors. If you try to mix with these, your mixes will end up sounding dull and overly bass heavy, owing to the enhanced top end and restrained bass of the cans. Honestly, I still use my ancient cheapo K55's as a mixing aid because when you take them off and listen on monitors, the results are more or less what you expected. With the 612's my monitor mixes sound like I've got water in my ears.
I'm not putting down the K612's. I wear them all day sometimes and forget I've got them on. Brilliant for working on programming and tracking. Avoid for mixing.

I can only make an audio interface suggestion based on what I have tried. For my mobile laptop setup I use a Steinberg UR22. Good drivers, great pre-amps and a pretty kick ass headphone output.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't even bother with a headphone amp at all. The audio interface will directly convert your DAW 24 bit audio, which is technically about 256 times higher resolution than any 16 bit DAC. It won't sound 256 times better but it will definitely sound better.

Hope this helps.

Aug 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #38 of 91
Hello DazH, thank you for your answer, it helped me a lot, now I can understand better why the AKG K612 are not one of the bests options.

Its curious in the frequency response how just a single wave the that goes down in the AKG K712 at 3khz can make in the AKG K612 where that wave doesnt exists to sound too much different, even with the bass frequency response being pretty similar, cause I have seen more recommendations of the AKG K712 for mixing and mastering.than the K612.

Anyways, I'm searching some headphones that translate well to studio monitors.
I discarded the AKG K240 because I want something with a bit more of sub-bass.

Here are all the options that I´m considering:

Akg K701
Akg K702
Akg K712 Pro
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic DT990
Audio Technica AD700X
Audio Technica AD900X
Grado SR60e
Grado SR80e
Sony MDR-MA900

Im not a basshead, but I would like to have enough bass and sub-bass, and I am looking for something that doesnt fatigue when used for long sessions.

Is there any other headphone that I have missed for music production that I should consider under the Senn HD600 price?

And if there is any audio interface with enough power for driving the headphones that you can recommend me with also 2 balanced inputs for studio monitors, I will appreciate it a lot.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #40 of 91
Is the Akg K7XX not the right one to pick because the final mixes are going to sound overly bassed?

Massdrop's K7XX is a relatively bassy headphone so what sounds neutral on K7XX will lack bass on more neutral equipment.
If you know the K7XX well, you can compensate for this (using EQ or by ear). You should aim for a warm sound on K7XX in order to get a relatively neutral mix.

I don't think it's the best pick because normally you can get more neutral and detailed equipment for similar money.

Anyway, you won't find a perfect headphone (or speaker system) so trade offs are always part of the game.
Knowing your equipment and how it translates to your public's equipment comes with critical experience and can't be addressed by simply picking certain headphone/speakers.

If you mix music for car-audio lovers or night clubs then you should keep in mind they will use big subwoofers to achieve certain sound signature.
On the other hand things like instrument placement or perfect tonal balance won't be that important for them.

If you mix for audiophiles using neutralish and very detailed equipment (HD800, Utopia, Focal speakers) you should care for tonal balance and soundstage and detail.

At the end of the day, different people use different equipment and have different preferences so you can not make the perfect mix for everyone.
My suggestion is to get a neutralish and technically capable headphone then 'learn' how to use it (read, learn where to aim with it)

Quality parametric equalizer can be a powerful tool. Check DMG Equilibrium (or Equality), they aren't cheap but they work very well.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #41 of 91
Massdrop's K7XX is a relatively bassy headphone so what sounds neutral on K7XX will lack bass on more neutral equipment.
If you know the K7XX well, you can compensate for this (using EQ or by ear). You should aim for a warm sound on K7XX in order to get a relatively neutral mix.

I don't think it's the best pick because normally you can get more neutral and detailed equipment for similar money.

Anyway, you won't find a perfect headphone (or speaker system) so trade offs are always part of the game.
Knowing your equipment and how it translates to your public's equipment comes with critical experience and can't be addressed by simply picking certain headphone/speakers.

If you mix music for car-audio lovers or night clubs then you should keep in mind they will use big subwoofers to achieve certain sound signature.
On the other hand things like instrument placement or perfect tonal balance won't be that important for them.

If you mix for audiophiles using neutralish and very detailed equipment (HD800, Utopia, Focal speakers) you should care for tonal balance and soundstage and detail.

At the end of the day, different people use different equipment and have different preferences so you can not make the perfect mix for everyone.
My suggestion is to get a neutralish and technically capable headphone then 'learn' how to use it (read, learn where to aim with it)

Quality parametric equalizer can be a powerful tool. Check DMG Equilibrium (or Equality), they aren't cheap but they work very well.

Ok, thank you, I appreciate your help a lot! And what do you think about the AKG Q701 for mixing?

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #42 of 91
Aug 13, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #43 of 91
Focusrite's Scarlett is a very good entry-level interface, in your price range too. Very popular, so in most places you can get a used one too. If you are doing music production, an interface is a better option than DAC/Amp. Most interfaces have outputs of 24 bit 48000 hz, some even 96000 that can drive up to 600 Ohm no problem whatsoever. Plus, I assume you will need to record sound or MIDI at some points as well.

Your best bet for open headphones for music production specifically for this price I'd say is the Beyerdynamic DT-880. The 770/880/990 series all offer good sound quality and extremely comfortable, but the 880 is the most neutral. They used to be priced almost the same as the Sennheiser HD650, but these days they are sold for much much cheaper. Can find a good pair for 100$.
The usual good alternatives, pretty much the holy trinity of studio headphones together with the 880, are the aforementioned Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K702. Can't go wrong with either, but purely based on budget 880s are the best bet.

If you don't mind closed headphones, then for music production, I would say the Focal Spirit Professional. Not the most comfortable, but they can be worn with glasses. Sound quality wise, amazing. Absolutely the best closed-back choice for this price for music production, and also can find some good used pairs for around 150.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #44 of 91
Thank you both for your comments!

@Me x3 The Audio Technica Ath-M50X will have the same problem as the Akg K7XX?

@Kazz123 , how would those open-back headphones work with the Focusrite Scarlett?
It seems that you missed to write something about closed back headphones in your comment.
Have a good day!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #45 of 91
how would those open-back headphones work with the Focusrite Scarlett?

I have used the DT-880 for mixing with that particular interface on several occasions at a friend's home studio, no complaints. The interface has a good powerful headphone amp, and streams 24 bit audio at 96000khz, nothing else I could ask for. The headphones provide a lot of clarity in all frequencies, you can hear an EQ sweep of 0.5 dB pretty well. We tested the final mixes on quite a few different setups after and the songs sounded good, which doesn't happen when you mix with non-neutral headphones.

It seems that you missed to write something about closed back headphones in your comment.

Oh, right haha, wanted to mention that a lot of the other popular closed back choices like the M50x often times aren't that good for mixing since they have a slanted frequency response. Mixing a song on the M50x would result in it being light on the bass because the headphones themselves make it seem like there is more of it than there really is. For the price they are not bad if you really need a closed-back, otherwise I wouldn't recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back