Open Back Headphones for Gaming & Hip-Hop/R&B
Jul 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Trey Nicholls

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I'm really new to high quality headphones and have been doing some research for the past couple days. I'm looking for some open-backs for PC gaming and possibly hip-hop and similar sounding genres. I know that open-backs won't give me as much bass as a closed back headphone, but I really want open-backs for a wide sound stage in gaming. I would like a good bit of bass but it doesn't have to be overpowering. My budget is around $300 for the headphones and any other things I might need to pair with it. I've been looking at the DT990 Pros and ATH-AD900X, but I'm completely open to any recommendations and would appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 8
I would look into Philips Fidelio X2,which has pretty wide sound stage and a healthy dose of slam.Theyre also easy to drive,so no need for a dedicated amp,though getting one wouldnt hurt.

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 8
+1 for the Fidelio X2. It would fit your needs perfectly; its amazing in terms of gaming soundstage and still hits hard with some nice clean bass. And it doesn't need an amp, but could definitely open up with one. The build quality is also outrageously good.

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the recommendation! I was thinking I might as well get an amp to go with it. Would an SMSL M3 or Fiio E10K go better with the X2's?
,I am not an SMSL person, personally, so I guess I would go with the FiiO. Remember though, that an amp is not required for the X2. It is easily driven by pretty much any mobile device sans amp. Just FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back