Open back headphones for $300 (give or take)
Dec 16, 2021 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

droopdog7

New Head-Fier
I posted earlier about issue with grado gw100 sounding very different on my phone and pc and have decided to keep looking while I try these a little more. I am liking the open sound, and plan to use them at home, which is where I work. So difficult to really try headphones so trying to get it (close to) right when I order.

After doing some research online, I came across the Hifiman Sundara, which look promising and are within the price range. But I'm seeing some reviews that say they don't really have much of any bass. Unlike the grado's, which are wired or wireless, I am okay with just wired now. I will probably start by using my phone as the main source; may also connect to PC and would consider buying an inexpensive desktop DAC as well. That's probably the extent as far as high end audio investment.

I listen to music across the spectrum in multiple languages. I do like bass of modern music but I am after listening to the grados, which have less bass than closed backs, I am good with the gain in fidelity on the lower end. Not okay if bass isn't there though. Also prefer a detachable cable (3.5). I want them to be lightweight (under 1lb) and not to squeeze my head too tight. Not a musician, not mixing, not a true audiophile; looking for something a consumer would like.

I suppose if anyone can speak on the sundara's that would be great. Any other suggestions given the parameters would be awesome too.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 23
I've posted elsewhere but I am VERY happy with Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. I was looking in your price range and after a lot of reading it seemed to come down to Sundara vs. these, both around $350. Maybe the Sundara are fantastic, but I saw a lot of caveats.

ATH-R70X. The R is for "reference" but they have some bass warmth and claim to go down to 5Hz (and up to 40,000 Hz--scare your dog with them if you have one). They've been around for half a decade; you can find reviews and impressions here and everywhere.

They weigh approximately zero. The weird wing things under the overarching headband (which is metal--it's not gonna break) work like a charm to float them over your head. The soundstage is huge and voices and instruments sound natural. Detail, clarity, punch -- they are all there. They improve with an amp (Schiit Magni 3+ for me) but they also sound fine straight out of the MacBook Air.

The ATH-R70X do have a longer than necessary cable--about 9 feet, I guess so the producer could pace around the studio. I use a cable tie to coil up some of it. It's a detachable cable but nonstandard, though you can find shorter ones. The right and left sides are only marked inside--silly--but a little sticker I put on the right side tells me which is which.

I got them with free returns, which you can do on Amazon, just in case. I knew 10 minutes into listening that they weren't going back.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 23
There are 4 models that you can get acquainted with in the budget:
1. Sennheiser HD600. Just a restrained classic
2. Hifiman 400i. Not as cool as Sundara, but very good for their money.
3. As the previous commentators wrote, AT R70x. A very decent model, but with one drawback: a sandy high frequency. You either like it or not, it's better to listen to them before buying.
4. Ukrainian Verum. They sound very embellished, but nice)
Good luck!

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 23
I've posted elsewhere but I am VERY happy with Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. I was looking in your price range and after a lot of reading it seemed to come down to Sundara vs. these, both around $350. Maybe the Sundara are fantastic, but I saw a lot of caveats.

ATH-R70X. The R is for "reference" but they have some bass warmth and claim to go down to 5Hz (and up to 40,000 Hz--scare your dog with them if you have one). They've been around for half a decade; you can find reviews and impressions here and everywhere.

They weigh approximately zero. The weird wing things under the overarching headband (which is metal--it's not gonna break) work like a charm to float them over your head. The soundstage is huge and voices and instruments sound natural. Detail, clarity, punch -- they are all there. They improve with an amp (Schiit Magni 3+ for me) but they also sound fine straight out of the MacBook Air.

The ATH-R70X do have a longer than necessary cable--about 9 feet, I guess so the producer could pace around the studio. I use a cable tie to coil up some of it. It's a detachable cable but nonstandard, though you can find shorter ones. The right and left sides are only marked inside--silly--but a little sticker I put on the right side tells me which is which.

I got them with free returns, which you can do on Amazon, just in case. I knew 10 minutes into listening that they weren't going back.
Appreciate the response. I’ve been doing a lot of research since I posted and the R70x are headphones that caught my attention. But I see them rated at 470 ohms, which I think means I definitely need a dac to drive them right?

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 23
There are 4 models that you can get acquainted with in the budget:
1. Sennheiser HD600. Just a restrained classic
2. Hifiman 400i. Not as cool as Sundara, but very good for their money.
3. As the previous commentators wrote, AT R70x. A very decent model, but with one drawback: a sandy high frequency. You either like it or not, it's better to listen to them before buying.
4. Ukrainian Verum. They sound very embellished, but nice)
Good luck!
Thanks. About listening to any headphones before buying, how does one to that? Can’t walk into a Best Buy can try them out.

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 23
The ATH-R70X do benefit from an amp (different from a digital-analog converter, which improves your source, though you can also get DAC/amp combos). But I can also drive them just fine from my phone. Sundaras are also supposed to benefit from an amp.

I don't find the highs grainy on the ATH-R70X; they're smoother than my Grado SR325 (which are famously in your face for vocals and guitars, and sometimes better for it).

I tried HifiMan 400 (I don't think it was the "i" version, but it's been a while) and I thought the bass was really deficient, and they were heavy.

Everyone's different, though. Since you're in the US, you could order a couple of contenders, maybe Sundara and ATH-R70X, from a place with free returns -- Amazon or another seller -- and try them at home with your own system, which is really the best way to judge anyway.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 23
Have the Sundara’s and definitely think they are worth the asking price.

Dec 17, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 23
Welp, I ordered the sundara for a try out for $300. Wish me luck.
Definitely going to need to put a low shelf filter on the Sundara. I'm surprised no one recommended the Fidelio X2HR, as it's one of the few open-backs that actually has some decent bass extension. It doesn't cost $300 now, but I think it did when it originally launched.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 23
Definitely going to need to put a low shelf filter on the Sundara. I'm surprised no one recommended the Fidelio X2HR, as it's one of the few open-backs that actually has some decent bass extension. It doesn't cost $300 now, but I think it did when it originally launched.
Yeah, this is also on my list. I was scared off to a degree by some saying that it was tight on the head. I may yet try it but I am sensitive to that sort of thing and on top of that, my noggin is on the larger side.

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 23
I posted earlier about issue with grado gw100 sounding very different on my phone and pc and have decided to keep looking while I try these a little more. I am liking the open sound, and plan to use them at home, which is where I work. So difficult to really try headphones so trying to get it (close to) right when I order.

After doing some research online, I came across the Hifiman Sundara, which look promising and are within the price range. But I'm seeing some reviews that say they don't really have much of any bass. Unlike the grado's, which are wired or wireless, I am okay with just wired now. I will probably start by using my phone as the main source; may also connect to PC and would consider buying an inexpensive desktop DAC as well. That's probably the extent as far as high end audio investment.

I listen to music across the spectrum in multiple languages. I do like bass of modern music but I am after listening to the grados, which have less bass than closed backs, I am good with the gain in fidelity on the lower end. Not okay if bass isn't there though. Also prefer a detachable cable (3.5). I want them to be lightweight (under 1lb) and not to squeeze my head too tight. Not a musician, not mixing, not a true audiophile; looking for something a consumer would like.

I suppose if anyone can speak on the sundara's that would be great. Any other suggestions given the parameters would be awesome too.
You'd definitely need an amp with Sundara. It's one of the best headphones under $400. And it Does respond to eq well.

Dec 19, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #14 of 23
You'd definitely need an amp with Sundara. It's one of the best headphones under $400. And it Does respond to eq well.
Yeah, looks like I’m going to need to add to my investment to even judge fairly. At this point, I plan to use for Apple Music on my phone or PC. Can you recommend an amp that I could connect to either or both that isn’t too expensive?

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 23
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-portable-headphone-amp-with-built-in-dac/
Those are portables--battery powered.

There's also the Shanling UA2, which is powered by the phone--i.e., will suck up phone battery life. But the reviewers specifically say it sounds good with Sundara.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/shanling-ua2-portable-usb-dac-amp.25182/reviews

If you're willing to plug in something and leave it on the desktop, the Schiit Magni 3+ or JDS Labs Atom are just amps (no DAC) and about $100 each.

Schiit also makes the Fulla, a DAC/Amp combo, for $109.
https://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back