Open-back headphones < $100?
Apr 9, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 18
You can get used like new Senn 558 (will be new just no retail box ) for under $80.00 Authorized dealer full warranty.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004FEEY9A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A134C7TMP2R0RJ

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I've narrowed it down to the following two headphones:

Sennheiser HD558 ($100)
- lacks sub bass
- smooth

Philips SHP9500 ($70)
- punchy bass
- forward

They both seem to be quite handsome, well-built, and comfortable. I'm not sure which to pick though. These will be my first pair of headphones. I will be listening to these at home using either my laptop (HP Pavilion with Beats Audio) or my phone (Nexus 5), both using Spotify Premium. 

I used to have Shure SE215s but didn't find their sound to be a big upgrade to the cheaper IEMs I had (Philips SHE3590, Brainwavz Delta, JVC Marshmallows). They seemed bloated. I returned them and got the HiFiMAN RE-400s this past summer and I can honestly say that they have changed my life. The RE-400s had a level of clarity that I had never experienced before. They present vocals beautifully and have such a nice, clean presentation. These earphones are what got me hooked into this hobby and why I'm now on Head-Fi on a daily basis. It took some time for me to get acclimated to their sound, but once I recognized how special they are, I fell in love. However, I have been listening to a fair bit of electronic-based and rap/hip hop music lately (CHVRCHES, Purity Ring, Childish Gambino, Mura Masa, etc.) and the RE-400s were really missing the bass that makes these types of music sound right. This lead me to getting a pair of JVC FX40s, and after giving them some time to break-in, they sound really good. The bass on the FX40s is just about perfect in quantity for my tastes (maybe slightly too much) while remaining decently controlled and well-mannered. They also have some pretty sharp treble that I do like. It can admittedly be overbearing at times, but I am not particularly sensitive to the bright treble so it isn't a huge issue and I like the sense of air and space it adds. They are also are quite fast and have surprised me with their technical capability. It's cool to hear stable composure during fast, complex sections of certain tracks with little distortion. For a $15, they are good, but they did not wow me like the RE-400s did. Their V-shaped signature is fun and works well with what I've listened to as of late, but I wouldn't call them special. The mids are quite recessed and distant.

This is all just me getting my thoughts down really, so I'm going to continue.

I commute four days a week and try to workout around three days a week so my IEMs have me covered in those situations. At home however, I'm usually just chillin', playing CS:GO, browsing reddit and Head-Fi while listening to music of course. I am pretty set on open-back headhphones since I'm curious about their benefits (expansive soundstage, effortlessness, light, etc.) and don't need the benefits of closed headphones (isolation, low sound leakage, etc.) since they'll stay at home. I'm honestly leaning toward the HD558s since they're smoother, more laid-back signature seems to be a better fit for winding down after a long day of school and relaxing (I usually get home pretty late. Commuting ftl.). I am afraid that I will miss bass though and they are $30 more and I've beeng thinking about getting something like the FiiO E10K to get some exposure to aftermarket DACs and amps, which I've never had. Welp, I'm starting to get off track so I'll stop here.

Your guys' input is greatly appreciated!

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 18
I've narrowed it down to the following two headphones:

Sennheiser HD558 ($100)
- lacks sub bass
- smooth

Philips SHP9500 ($70) - punchy bass
- forward

I've heard those two, though I only briefly auditioned the HD 558, and owned the SHP9500.

The HD 558 is smooth and slightly warm, but in a crisp way. Didn't hear it long enough to get to know its weaknesses.

I wouldn't really say the SHP9500's bass is punchy. It's a little bass-light, but very open, clear, and airy-sounding. Considering that second part, the lack of heavy bass was not a problem, because its other qualities made it a pretty blissful experience for some music. It is also one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. The sound can be enhanced (including stronger bass) with the Magick Man mod. Look it up if you get that headphone.

And of course you can always use EQ to tweak the sound of any headphone, though it can only do so much.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 18
I've heard those two, though I only briefly auditioned the HD 558, and owned the SHP9500.

The HD 558 is smooth and slightly warm, but in a crisp way. Didn't hear it long enough to get to know its weaknesses.

I wouldn't really say the SHP9500's bass is punchy. It's a little bass-light, but very open, clear, and airy-sounding. Considering that second part, the lack of heavy bass was not a problem, because its other qualities made it a pretty blissful experience for some music. It is also one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. The sound can be enhanced (including stronger bass) with the Magick Man mod. Look it up if you get that headphone.

And of course you can always use EQ to tweak the sound of any headphone, though it can only do so much.

Interesting. How would you further describe the overall character (smooth, laid back, energetic, forward, analytical, etc.) of the SHP9500? You seem to be quite knowledgeable on their sound so I'm interested in what else you hear from them.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 18
Interesting. How would you further describe the overall character (smooth, laid back, energetic, forward, analytical, etc.) of the SHP9500? You seem to be quite knowledgeable on their sound so I'm interested in what else you hear from them.

Well...it did not have a "physical" sound. (Like the $349 Focal Spirit Professional does.) It was very airy, which is a cool experience, but not exactly suitable for all music. There are some peaks in the treble (yeah, that's true for tons of headphones, I know), but that just enhances the airiness of it all, and does make it sound a little analytical at times. The bass was still strong enough to appreciate, but weaker than neutral. It's kind of hard to describe a headphone like this one because it has certain aspects combining all that you described. It was not smooth in a "muffled" sense, but it was still smooth enough, I guess. I'd say it was more energetic and forward than laid-back, but it still had an easygoing feel to it. Confused yet? lol

It's very affordable, so if you're curious about how it sounds, you could always buy from a store with a good return policy in case it's not your cup of tea.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 18
+1 to the Sennheiser 558's. I bought them used from the Amazon warehouse and love them. I find them to be warm and clean. I'm not a basshead though. I paired them with an Audioengine D1 for my office setup, and I've been very pleased. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 18
Well...it did not have a "physical" sound. (Like the $349 Focal Spirit Professional does.) It was very airy, which is a cool experience, but not exactly suitable for all music. There are some peaks in the treble (yeah, that's true for tons of headphones, I know), but that just enhances the airiness of it all, and does make it sound a little analytical at times. The bass was still strong enough to appreciate, but weaker than neutral. It's kind of hard to describe a headphone like this one because it has certain aspects combining all that you described. It was not smooth in a "muffled" sense, but it was still smooth enough, I guess. I'd say it was more energetic and forward than laid-back, but it still had an easygoing feel to it. Confused yet? lol

It's very affordable, so if you're curious about how it sounds, you could always buy from a store with a good return policy in case it's not your cup of tea.

Haha, yeah a little bit. They are just good headphones, got it. Do you find that they excel and/or underperform with certain genres?

+1 to the Sennheiser 558's. I bought them used from the Amazon warehouse and love them. I find them to be warm and clean. I'm not a basshead though. I paired them with an Audioengine D1 for my office setup, and I've been very pleased. 

Nice. I might also go with a pair from the Amazon Warehouse to save some money. Do you find that they excel and/or underperform with certain genres?

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 18
Haha, yeah a little bit. They are just good headphones, got it. Do you find that they excel and/or underperform with certain genres?
Nice. I might also go with a pair from the Amazon Warehouse to save some money. Do you find that they excel and/or underperform with certain genres?

Go with the link I posted above. There authorized dealer will full warrant. Amazon Warehouse is not.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 18

List genres you're interested in and I may be able to offer insights.

I especially enjoyed it with electronic music where there's a lot of "airy" stuff going on, like trance and J-pop.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 18
I started with the Grado SR80i but with the Superlux HD 668B. There is no competition. It has a great reputation here. It is extremely cheap considering its superb performance. The build quality is good too and the pads can be replaced for more comfort. At roughly $100, get the Superlux and get yourself a nice amp like the fio e11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back