Open back headphone recommendation below $300
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

somshankar

New Head-Fier
I am a music lover. Listening to metal(black,death,grind) , prog rock, jazz and western classical mostly.
I have a Fiio x5 Mk2 for a DAC and a ATH M50x and Sennheiser HD558 for headphones.
I am reasonably satisfied with what i have.
But as expected I am itching now to get a good pair of open back headphones.
I am considering the Hd58x on massdrop but also looking for other options eg. planar magnetic.
From what i understand of my own taste i would prefer a headphones with a good bass presence(not over done), clear mids.Specifically i want to avoid a headphones which muddies the bass to mid ranges. Also i would prefer one with a good soundstage/imaging.
And i like rounded treble. very sharp trebles throw me off.
My budget is < $300 .
Also a headphone that can be driven by my Fiio x5 mk2.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 27
I am a music lover. Listening to metal(black,death,grind) , prog rock, jazz and western classical mostly.
I have a Fiio x5 Mk2 for a DAC and a ATH M50x and Sennheiser HD558 for headphones.
I am reasonably satisfied with what i have.
But as expected I am itching now to get a good pair of open back headphones.
I am considering the Hd58x on massdrop but also looking for other options eg. planar magnetic.
From what i understand of my own taste i would prefer a headphones with a good bass presence(not over done), clear mids.Specifically i want to avoid a headphones which muddies the bass to mid ranges. Also i would prefer one with a good soundstage/imaging.
And i like rounded treble. very sharp trebles throw me off.
My budget is < $300 .
Also a headphone that can be driven by my Fiio x5 mk2.
Have you looked at the Monolith M1060? I use(d) them for the same reasons as you've listed. They're planar, and they play well with your musical choices in my personal opinion.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 27
I'm really liking my Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones :)

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 27
Oct 23, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 27
Have you looked at the Monolith M1060? I use(d) them for the same reasons as you've listed. They're planar, and they play well with your musical choices in my personal opinion.

Yeah i am thinking of that and the 58x s . The only thing about Monolith a little worrying is that it has wood and i live in India where humidity is way high. A little worried about that affecting the wood. Thanks for the recommendations buddy.

Oct 28, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 27
You can get the Sennheiser HD6xx for $199 on massdrop. This is IMO one of the best headphones in this price range aside from the $250 1More triple driver over ear. The 1More has deeper bass but has comfort issues and some people find it lacking in the mids. I am not sure what kind of sound profile you are after but for me, those two are the best in that price range.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #11 of 27
You can get the Sennheiser HD6xx for $199 on massdrop. This is IMO one of the best headphones in this price range aside from the $250 1More triple driver over ear. The 1More has deeper bass but has comfort issues and some people find it lacking in the mids. I am not sure what kind of sound profile you are after but for me, those two are the best in that price range.

Thanks. Can you give me a description of the sound of HD6xx ? I mean i like a good bass presence. Not too much. But present. For example the cello has to sound deep. That sorta thing. Also how easy/difficult is it to drive ? Basically i am trying to differentiate it from the 58x.

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 27
Somshankar,
I don't want to oversell the 6xx but it is the best headphone outside of the 800s for cello music. I must also explain that I did not hear that until I put it on my tube amp. The tube seems to fill that soundspace and makes it warm without losing the detail. I was listening to Bach Cello Suites No. 1-6 and kept hearing a sound that I thought was a low hum from the tubes. After a while of listening and ruling out the tube I realized that it was actually the cellists breathing. To me, it shines the most when fewer instruments are present because it does tend to lose some of the sound definition during orchestral music especially in the brass section. It will go from beautiful sound separation where you can pick out individual instruments to a blurring of the lines in which you can no longer hear the individualism of each instrument but the tonality of that sound range is still there and full. Now when you have a trio or quartet where the instruments individually own that sound space you wind up in audiovana. You can hear fingers drag along strings, piano foot pedals changing the tone of notes, breath from horn and wood wind players and fullness of voice from a singer. I watched Natalie Cole do her duet of unforgettable with her father and literally cried. I can listen to just about anything with these headphones but will say that to me, these shine in that wonderful space of fewer instruments and precision musicianship. When it comes to EDM, R&B, Rap and even big band where bass plays a huge part of the score, they perform but to me, that is best on my lcd 2 closed because of its deeper and heavier bass presence. Blues, Jazz, classical, cello, guitar, quartet, trio and a Capella are just a few that sound absolutely amazing with the 6xx on a tube amp. I don't know what everyone else's experience has been with these headphones but to me, there is none better to my taste in this realm. It took me some time to tune the tube amp to the sound I like by rolling tubes but once I found the right tubes it was a done deal. As for the difference between them and the jubilee, I can not say because I don't have them, I do however have the 598SE and will say that in comparison, the 598SE does have a bit more lower register presence in both the lows and mids, but it is not as clean or warm to me. Don't get me wrong, they sound great but they seem to lose a step in comparison. If I had to choose between the two, it would boil down to whether or not I am using a tube amp. without it I can see an argument for not getting the 6xx depending on your audio taste, but with it, to me, it does not matter what the taste is, it is a much sweeter and moving sound on the 6xx. So much so that I actually use the 6xx over my 800s for just pure pleasure listening on this tube amp with the music types I listed. The 800s just doesn't give me that same soulfulness that he 6xx does, it has an amazing sound but I normally wind up analyzing more than listening with the 800s. I know that this may not be the case for everyone but for me, that sweet clarity and beauty from the 800s is just not as giving as the 6xx on a tube amp. This was very long but I wanted to make sure that I explained as best I could what I hear especially since I am on a tube amp. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions please just ask and I will get back to you as soon as possible. {EDIT} Forgot to address your question about driving them, I can't really address it because everything I have can drive it just fine. The problem is that everything with one exception is desktop, the only portable I have is the Nano IDSD Black label and even with that, there is no issue pushing it.
Ethan

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #13 of 27
Somshankar,
I don't want to oversell the 6xx but it is the best headphone outside of the 800s for cello music. I must also explain that I did not hear that until I put it on my tube amp. The tube seems to fill that soundspace and makes it warm without losing the detail. I was listening to Bach Cello Suites No. 1-6 and kept hearing a sound that I thought was a low hum from the tubes. After a while of listening and ruling out the tube I realized that it was actually the cellists breathing. To me, it shines the most when fewer instruments are present because it does tend to lose some of the sound definition during orchestral music especially in the brass section. It will go from beautiful sound separation where you can pick out individual instruments to a blurring of the lines in which you can no longer hear the individualism of each instrument but the tonality of that sound range is still there and full. Now when you have a trio or quartet where the instruments individually own that sound space you wind up in audiovana. You can hear fingers drag along strings, piano foot pedals changing the tone of notes, breath from horn and wood wind players and fullness of voice from a singer. I watched Natalie Cole do her duet of unforgettable with her father and literally cried. I can listen to just about anything with these headphones but will say that to me, these shine in that wonderful space of fewer instruments and precision musicianship. When it comes to EDM, R&B, Rap and even big band where bass plays a huge part of the score, they perform but to me, that is best on my lcd 2 closed because of its deeper and heavier bass presence. Blues, Jazz, classical, cello, guitar, quartet, trio and a Capella are just a few that sound absolutely amazing with the 6xx on a tube amp. I don't know what everyone else's experience has been with these headphones but to me, there is none better to my taste in this realm. It took me some time to tune the tube amp to the sound I like by rolling tubes but once I found the right tubes it was a done deal. As for the difference between them and the jubilee, I can not say because I don't have them, I do however have the 598SE and will say that in comparison, the 598SE does have a bit more lower register presence in both the lows and mids, but it is not as clean or warm to me. Don't get me wrong, they sound great but they seem to lose a step in comparison. If I had to choose between the two, it would boil down to whether or not I am using a tube amp. without it I can see an argument for not getting the 6xx depending on your audio taste, but with it, to me, it does not matter what the taste is, it is a much sweeter and moving sound on the 6xx. So much so that I actually use the 6xx over my 800s for just pure pleasure listening on this tube amp with the music types I listed. The 800s just doesn't give me that same soulfulness that he 6xx does, it has an amazing sound but I normally wind up analyzing more than listening with the 800s. I know that this may not be the case for everyone but for me, that sweet clarity and beauty from the 800s is just not as giving as the 6xx on a tube amp. This was very long but I wanted to make sure that I explained as best I could what I hear especially since I am on a tube amp. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions please just ask and I will get back to you as soon as possible. {EDIT} Forgot to address your question about driving them, I can't really address it because everything I have can drive it just fine. The problem is that everything with one exception is desktop, the only portable I have is the Nano IDSD Black label and even with that, there is no issue pushing it.
Ethan

Wow. Thank you for such a detailed update. So i do not have a tube amp and i don't have the budget either. I have the Fiio x5 2nd generation.I am just wondering if using EQ to emphasize bass on that will help on this. Otherwise i may have to settle for the 58x because i listen to a lot of metal as well and that may not come out so well on the 6xx. Although your desfription of the sounds of Bach Cello suites does make me want to get get the setup that you have right now !
Thanks again !

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 27
I wish I could give you a comparison between the two but I don't have the jubilee. I have heard that it does have more bass than the 6xx but it is not as clean sounding as the 6xx. I went with the 6xx because as I understand it, it is splitting the difference between the jubilee and the 700. Having a 598se which is more akin to the jubilee (as I understand it) I saw no reason to get it. Hopefully someone here has them both or has heard them both and can give you a comparison between the two. I have listened to rock on 6xx (ACDC, Queen, Metalica and a few other old school bands) and can say that if I only had the 6xx i would not be disappointed, but since I don't have to make that decision I won't.. lol, but with that said, I have not had enough exposure to say how it will sound across the entire genre. I know what I like and what sounds amazeballs on it and what I will use other headphones to listen to. If you are going to also have these for movie audio there are better offerings, again, can it do it, yes, is it the best.. .meh. I hope that helps.
Ethan

Oct 29, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 27
For metal between the 6XX and 58X, I'd highly recommend the latter. You want energy, liveliness and solid mids. Another difference is the slight bit of grain the 58X has, opposed to the more lush sound of the 6XX. If you like to feel like getting up and moving - alive when listening to energetic rock and metal, go 58X. If you want to listen to same music while trying to get tired, lying in bed, go 6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back