Open back headphone compatible with ipod under 400 bucks.
Apr 13, 2015 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sarathnjan007

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Am looking for a head phone with high fidelity,sound stage and balanced even response. I prefer open back headphones compatible with iPod. Should be comfortable to wear. My budget is 300 bucks but will extend up to 400 if it worth it. I listen to all kind of genre. Still electronic will be my first choice followed by rock and pop. Honestly I only have basic knowledge about headphones. What I do know is I listen to a lot of music :) I heard beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 30 Ohm is a good choice. I am looking for more options.So please guide me and feel free to correct me if I have made some mistake in some of the terms I used. Looking forward to your valuable advice. Thanks :) 

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 17
Will you be using a headphone amp with your ipod, or straight out of the ipod? I'm assuming you mean the 32 Ohm DT990 Premium. I think I would want an amp for the DT990, they aren't very efficient. You might also want to look at the Philips X2.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 17
Will you be using a headphone amp with your ipod, or straight out of the ipod? I'm assuming you mean the 32 Ohm DT990 Premium. I think I would want an amp for the DT990, they aren't very efficient. You might also want to look at the Philips 

Thank you for your replay. I don't want to use an amp unless its absolutely necessary. I thought 32 ohm can go well with my ipod and lap without amp. I don't have much knowledge about amp. But i assume a good one cost pretty high. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 17
  Thank you for your replay. I don't want to use an amp unless its absolutely necessary. I thought 32 ohm can go well with my ipod and lap without amp. I don't have much knowledge about amp. But i assume a good one cost pretty high. 

You might look at the previously mentioned Philips Fidelio X2 and maybe the Sennheiser HD598 (much less expensive, but still excellent), given your desire not to use an amp. Maybe even the Soundmagic HP200--also open. The Beyer you mention, even at 32 ohms, is still not a super efficient can and, as mentioned, you would likely want an amp for them.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 17
If a good headphone+amp under 400 bucks can give me much better experience than one without amp I will consider that also. Only if its absolutely worth it. I will consider fidelio and HD598. Thanks guys,

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 17
  If a good headphone+amp under 400 bucks can give me much better experience than one without amp I will consider that also. Only if its absolutely worth it. I will consider fidelio and HD598. Thanks guys,

I'd get get an Ibasso D-Zero and a Grado SR-225. You'll need the CCK though in order to activate USB audio, plus maybe a dock so you can set the phone upright.* I assume this is for desktop use. Also, the "e" versions come with 3.5mm as standard so no need for the bulky adapters. It should all be well under $400.

*Kind of like this

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 17
You might look at the previously mentioned Philips Fidelio X2 and maybe the Sennheiser HD598 (much less expensive, but still excellent), given your desire not to use an amp. Maybe even the Soundmagic HP200--also open. The Beyer you mention, even at 32 ohms, is still not a super efficient can and, as mentioned, you would likely want an amp for them.

I agree. These would be good choices for you. All a bit different, and difficult to predict which you might like better without you hearing them. If you can, you'd be best off to order two from places with good return policies, and then return the one you like the least. The $10 or $12 "demo" fee of return shipping would be worthwhile to help you find headphones you like the best :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 17
I agree. These would be good choices for you. All a bit different, and difficult to predict which you might like better without you hearing them. If you can, you'd be best off to order two from places with good return policies, and then return the one you like the least. The $10 or $12 "demo" fee of return shipping would be worthwhile to help you find headphones you like the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Thats the problem :) Am from India . So its difficult to find all these headphones here. Once i choose the best i will buy it from US.This is the best I can do. :) 

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 17
So fidelio x2 or sennheiser HD598 with no amp needed. HD598 is much cheaper compared to X2 . I will do little more research on these two and will choose one. And will love to consider any other options too. Thanks all. :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 17
I understand that you' re new this hobby (correct me if I am wrong), so we need to know your headphone weight, bulk and style preferences (on ear, clip on, portable, semi portable, full sized, circumaural, etc..); your preffered headphone sound type (s) ( like: neutral, natural, bassy, clear and crisp highs, bright, dark, etc). Probably you dont have a knowledge for some of these terms?? Also we need to hear something about the climate, and if it is hot in your region do you sweat a lot? How many hours are you planing to use a headphone the constantly in one session?

OK , provide us with more information. Then I can chime in again :wink:

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 17
Have a look at the master and dynamic MH40. They are great sounding portable headphones that should fit your bill very well. 

Do not need an amp either. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 17
I understand that you' re new this hobby (correct me if I am wrong), so we need to know your headphone weight, bulk and style preferences (on ear, clip on, portable, semi portable, full sized, circumaural, etc..); your preffered headphone sound type (s) ( like: neutral, natural, bassy, clear and crisp highs, bright, dark, etc). Probably you dont have a knowledge for some of these terms?? Also we need to hear something about the climate, and if it is hot in your region do you sweat a lot? How many hours are you planing to use a headphone the constantly in one session?

OK , provide us with more information. Then I can chime in again
wink.gif

Wow. Thanks for the response. Should be circumaural, open back, climate is moderate here. and i don't sweat a lot. It should be very comfy since sometimes i wear it for hours. Am not going to take it outside. I prefer natural sound,excellent mid, and good treble. Am not a bass head.I don't have much idea about the terms you have mentioned.Since it open back i expect good sound stage. Fell free to correct me if i have said something stupid. This whole thing is learning process to me :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 17
OK.

Finding the best headphone for a beginner is quite a long journey... Since your budget is up to 400 USD you can directly buy a Fidelio X2 and start with one of the best hp at its price point (and punching well above).

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 17
OK.

Finding the best headphone for a beginner is quite a long journey... Since your budget is up to 400 USD you can directly buy a Fidelio X2 and start with one of the best hp at its price point (and punching well above).

wokay . From the beginning onwards fidelio is the shining star of this discussion. Believe it or not i have never heard of X2 before. :D . All am hearing was sennheiser, shrue, audio technica, AKG, beyer dynamics etc. Well life is surprising as always.. Think I will go with X2 then. Thanks to all. :) Well still more suggestions are welcome since am not in a hurry and it will take at least one month for purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back