Open Back Audio Technica's comparision?
Dec 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sounding

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my very first thread. I've never had open back headphones and I really want a pair. I'm looking for Audio Technica's. I heard good things about the ATH ADx ones, like great soundstage and facility to drive (I'm not buying an amp, I'll plug them directly into my PC motherboard). Is it worth spending more on the ATH AD900x or the cheaper ATH AD500x will be good enough? What's the difference? I like playing FPS gaming and positional audio is heaven for me, which is my main purpose. And what about the ATH AD700x? I'm really confused.

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 4
These are the previous versions, but I suspect the comparison between the models is still valid. Look at the differences in the frequency response measurements:

what I see is that the AD900 has much less bass roll-off than the AD700 & AD500, and the AD500 has significant treble roll-off compared to the AD700 & AD900. The AD700 is in the middle - the bass rolls-off like the AD500, but the treble looks more like the AD900.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Hmm... I think I've changed my mind. Maybe I'll get a DAC AMP combo. Is the Fiio E10k a good pair? I will probably get the AD900x. The Fiio I mentioned also has a Bass Boost button, can be fun for some bass oriented songs, can't it? I'm considering the DAC AMP because I'm worried my motherboard may have bad sound. How's the E10K about soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back