Open back advice
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

andypeab

New Head-Fier
For reference: for daily walk-arounds I'm quite happy with the KZ PR2 and Salnotes Zero, for crowded spaces I use a Koss KPH40 Utility, and for sit-down/"critical-listening" my jam is the AKG K371. I should note that my wife is probably getting me the Grado SR60x for my birthday in a few weeks, so let that sway your suggestions...

My portable setup is a Shanling M0 Pro & Fiio Q11, at home I connect through a Denon AVR-S760H. All files are local FLACs, hi-res when available.

Now, onto the meat of why I'm here: I'd like to treat myself to an open-back. I've narrowed it down to the HD600, ATH-R70X, K612 Pro, and the DT 900 Pro. Assuming I really love the K371 sound, which direction should I go?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 7
You can compare frequency response curves -- which is a lot but not the whole story -- here.
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/

Pick the K371, then compare your other choices by finding them in the list and clicking the + (one at a time unless you want to subscribe for premium).

The only one of your choices I have tried is the ATH-R70X and I love it. The graph suggests that all three of your choices will have less bass than your AKGs. But there's plenty of bass -- both clear and impactful -- on the ATH-R70X. If you want to EQ up the bass, it will comply.

Frankly I'd ask your wife to skip the Grado SR60X and contribute to your other open-backs. The SR60X are entry-level and the ones you're looking at are simply better. I have had Grado SR125 and Grado SR325 and the SR325 have been pretty much sitting on the shelf I got the ATH-R70X.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 7
The Grados will sound noticeably brighter (I own an older Grado, the Alessandro MS-1). Different for sure from the K371. If you find a vintage Grado with the 'pink drivers', that might be a keeper. I've only had a chance to listen to one of those a few years back - an SR-60 - and its sound signature was much smoother than the current models.

My vote is for a Sennheiser headphone. I own the HD 580 and used to own the HD 600, 650 and 800. The HD 580 is the only one that I decided to keep. Luckily, Sennheiser still sells parts, so if you find a used Senn in dodgy condition, you'll be able to bring it back to almost new. I think the HD 650 sounds similar to the HD 580 I own, while the HD 600 sounds a tad brighter.

I've not listened to the ATH-R70X, but it certainly looks good on paper.

Jun 1, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
You can compare frequency response curves -- which is a lot but not the whole story -- here.
https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the R70X!

I actually settled on these options partly because their graphs were in the ballpark of my apparent prefered range. And I do know what you mean about graphs not telling the whole story, that's why it's great getting to hear from people who use these daily.

Jun 1, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 7
The Grados will sound noticeably brighter (I own an older Grado, the Alessandro MS-1). Different for sure from the K371. If you find a vintage Grado with the 'pink drivers', that might be a keeper. I've only had a chance to listen to one of those a few years back - an SR-60 - and its sound signature was much smoother than the current models.
My first experience with Grado was late 90s; I assume it was a mid-90s SR60, so probably an early model. A studio engineer had me listen to them because our musical interests were similar and I had never experienced anything different (or better) than consumer Sony/Pioneer/Panasonic headphones at the time. It was an awesome experience. I know the new ones aren't the same, but my wife likes the story and she likes giving sentimental gifts (and she's unintentionally dropped some hints about it being this year's gift).

Used prices for the HD580 are up there but the HD5xx Jubilee looks like it can be easily snagged for $100 at most. Off the top if my head they're a similar model? One thing I wanted out of the open backs (vs the K371) was a bigger stage, and I didn't really consider the HD5s because I thought I remembered reading a few reviews where imaging and width were brought up as weak points -- but as with a lot of audio reviews I don't know what the reviewer's reference for "good" imaging was, so they may be an improvement over my AKGs.

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 7
It sounds like you've already done a lot of research, which is great. Sennheiser's numbering system is just confusing to me; when I read reviews I don't see any family consistency in descriptions of different 5nn or 6nn models. So don't plunk down for the HD 5XX before...yep...more research.

I am a total cheerleader for the ATH-R70X because they are so incredibly comfortable and feel just featherweight, while some people complain about clamping on Sennheisers. I wear glasses and (unlike the Grados) don't feel any clamping. (Although the pads are some kind of suede finish, I have been using them for hours a day for more than a year and they show zero wear -- magic pads.)

Imaging? I have forgotten I am wearing these and turned around to check out a sudden sound behind me that was actually in the music.

Below is the review that convinced me to get them. The writer got Audio-Technica engineers to basically admit they were trying to one-up the Sennheiser approach, and is convinced they did. Its other impressions pretty exactly match my experience.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

The quirks are the lack of outside L and R markings -- I put a little sticker on the outside of my right cup -- and the long (9-foot) cable. It's not a standard connection, but you can find shorter knockoffs on Amazon or Aliexpress if you put in ATH-R70X specifically. Me, I've found the long cable to be a plus in my office setup.

They are price-fixed at $349 most places, but for some reason Thomann gets away with $279 plus about $30 shipping, so you can save a little.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm
30-day return policy if you're not smitten.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 7
I know the new ones aren't the same, but my wife likes the story and she likes giving sentimental gifts (and she's unintentionally dropped some hints about it being this year's gift).

Just make sure to use them whenever she happens to be around. :beyersmile: Grados were my introduction to Head-Fi as well and I pull out the MS-1's every once in a while when I'm feeling nostalgic. The K371's sound much better though.

The 'xx' Senns are tweaked versions of the originals. I've listened to a few and they're ok, but my preference is for the original designs.

In my experience, convincing imaging is a function of driver distance and angle from the ear. I don't really get an expansive soundstage with any headphone, open or closed, unless I'm listening to a binaural recording or it's an unconventional design like the AKG K1000. In the Sennheiser lineup, you might want to consider the HD 800 if you're looking for a presentation that's less in your head. However, I think you sacrifice some accuracy in the frequency response department to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back