Open Back, ~$150 USD Headphone for Gaming, EDM music
Jul 20, 2019 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GhzGuy

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I'm upgrading from my Superlux 668B and Audio Technica MSR7 duo to something different. I have another set of headphones I use for monitoring duty (Because I'm part of a podcast and I help with it). So I wanted to have another set for gaming, music, and general use. I use a Vmoda mic, so having compatibility with that would be really, really nice.

Budget: $150 USD

Source: Laptop
(Though I am considering getting a DAC)

Use: Listening to music, videos, and gaming

Tonal Balance: I do tend to like the U/V shaped stuff. I had a bad experience with the AKG M220 not having enough bass for my liking so I'm slightly weary of headphones with super flat curves.

Genre: Mostly EDM, some Rock occationally.

Old Gear Goods and Bads: 668B and MSR7s were both pleasant and fun to listen to. The MSR7s were usually very comfortable, which was great. I had the AKG M220, who had a soundcurve which was not to my liking but they were comfortable at least.

Headphones I'm looking at: I thought the Philips Fidelio X2HR was the best headphone for me, but the reviews vary a lot. I wasn't sure if there was anything else I could use. Unfortunately all the Monoprice headphones use two wires. The K7XX is a possibility but would require some sort of converter. There's some Sennheisers that could work though.

Hopefully that's enough detail! Thanks for your help!

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 10
One other on the list that is sometimes overlooked but should not be is the SoundMAGIC HP200. Really good. Might be worth reading about it to see what you think. Good luck.

Interesting suggestion! I'll have to look into it. I just realized I can just use a 90 degree header which opens up the Dekoni Blues. Or I could get rid of my BoomPro and buy a ModMic instead and get something like a MonoPrice M650. Though perhaps that's getting needlessly complex.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 10
One other on the list that is sometimes overlooked but should not be is the SoundMAGIC HP200. Really good. Might be worth reading about it to see what you think. Good luck.
Ghzguy
+1 Soundmagic HP200 open headphones,
or if you want closed headphones, the HP151 model.
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X is also a good bang for the buck, I bought a balanced cable ($60) , to be able to connect the HD58X to the balanced output on my Topping DX7s.

Jul 21, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 10
Ghzguy
+1 Soundmagic HP200 open headphones,
or if you want closed headphones, the HP151 model.
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X is also a good bang for the buck, I bought a balanced cable ($60) , to be able to connect the HD58X to the balanced output on my Topping DX7s.

I looked into the HD58X and I'm interested in those now for sure. (I did tell my friend who's into audio and he said they were awful and suggested things like the TH X-00. Which is 450 dollars. Or the HD 660 S. Which is 420 dollars.) I see in your little attached thing that you have them, how do you like them?

Thanks for your input!

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 10
I looked into the HD58X and I'm interested in those now for sure. (I did tell my friend who's into audio and he said they were awful and suggested things like the TH X-00. Which is 450 dollars. Or the HD 660 S. Which is 420 dollars.) I see in your little attached thing that you have them, how do you like them? Thanks for your input!
Just plugged my HD58X, using a balanced cable, into my Topping DX7s DAC/amp, they do not sound "awful" to me,
when i first bought the HD58X I used them every :)
Could the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 and Sennheiser HD660s be considered better sounding headphones, i would think so.
And if your willing to budget $400-$500, to buy them, that's cool.
With headphones like the TH-X00/HD660s, your going to want to get a decent DAC/amp, to bring out their best, so maybe your looking at spending $600, for the audio setup.

My two cents is to get the HD58X and maybe spend $100 (or more) for a DAC/amp.
I've bought around 40-50 headphones over the past several years, no regrets buying the HD58X.

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 10
I looked into the HD58X and I'm interested in those now for sure. (I did tell my friend who's into audio and he said they were awful and suggested things like the TH X-00. Which is 450 dollars. Or the HD 660 S. Which is 420 dollars.) I see in your little attached thing that you have them, how do you like them?

Thanks for your input!
Well there is a difference between the T-X0’s and the TH or now the TR-X00’s . The T-X0’s are based on the Fostex T50RP MKII which is a planar magnetic and the TR is a dynamic driver. The T-X0 is more like $160 or 170 can’t remember for sure and the TR’s are more like $420 and more.

Jul 21, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Well there is a difference between the T-X0’s and the TH or now the TR-X00’s . The T-X0’s are based on the Fostex T50RP MKII which is a planar magnetic and the TR is a dynamic driver. The T-X0 is more like $160 or 170 can’t remember for sure and the TR’s are more like $420 and more.
I did check and he did, in fact, mean the TR X-00. (And of course suggested an amp) I know they're excellent headphones but I don't have 550 to just drop on headphones and an amp after all. I was blending two names together by mistake.

Jul 21, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Just plugged my HD58X, using a balanced cable, into my Topping DX7s DAC/amp, they do not sound "awful" to me,
when i first bought the HD58X I used them every :)
Could the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 and Sennheiser HD660s be considered better sounding headphones, i would think so.
And if your willing to budget $400-$500, to buy them, that's cool.
With headphones like the TH-X00/HD660s, your going to want to get a decent DAC/amp, to bring out their best, so maybe your looking at spending $600, for the audio setup.

My two cents is to get the HD58X and maybe spend $100 (or more) for a DAC/amp.
I've bought around 40-50 headphones over the past several years, no regrets buying the HD58X.

I had a look at frequency graphs on the HD58X and it seemed pretty close to the HD660 S (Or whatever it was). Obviously that's not the whole story, but you get the idea. I think what I'll do for now is get the HD58X, and hopefully soon I'll be able to put the money into a decent AMP/DAC setup.

Thanks for your input!

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Most of the Fostex dynamic cans are V shaped. The 58X is not. It's a great headphone, so I can only assume your buddy likes heavy bass and treble. Music isn't music without the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back