Open Back ~$100 (Grado vs Yamaha)
Nov 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ruffball

New Head-Fier
Hi, there are quite a few threads like this, but none of them can help me decide. Basically I'm in the market for an open-back headphone around $100, and I've heard the Yamaha HPH-200 and Grado SR-80e/i recommended. The sound signature I'm looking for is mostly neutral (rock and classical, some electronic are my tastes); I want a lot of detail and a great soundstage. Which of these would be better suited to my needs, or is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks!

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 5
  Hi, there are quite a few threads like this, but none of them can help me decide. Basically I'm in the market for an open-back headphone around $100, and I've heard the Yamaha HPH-200 and Grado SR-80e/i recommended. The sound signature I'm looking for is mostly neutral (rock and classical, some electronic are my tastes); I want a lot of detail and a great soundstage. Which of these would be better suited to my needs, or is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks!

I would take the Grado SR80i over HPH-200, the Grado is a much better (and well proven performer) in detail and soundstage. Just be prepared for near zero isolation, it's almost like wearing nothing, you'll hear everything around you.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah,I don't mind the lack of isolation much (coming from nodded PortaPros). Someone else mentioned the Audio Technica ATH-AD900x; any idea how those compare?

AD900x cost twice, if you can find them for 100, don't doubt about them.

Over-ear headphones provide wider soundstage than on-ears (most of the times)

If you are in the search for a good all rounder with wide soundstage and a pretty neutral response you should strongly consider Pioneer Se-A1000.

Takstar's Hi-2050 are very detailed at their price point, if you are into well recorded music these are really good performers. They will shine with classical, especially with wooden strings, but can sound dry and lifeless with some electronic music.

Yamaha HPH-200 are nice headphones but much more on the fun/lively/v-shaped side. I wouldn't pick them for classical, but they offer a pretty engaging sound for rock and electronic music. These are really warm sounding headphones, so take that in mind, Grados should be more neutral.

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back