Open alternative to Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bio-Rhythm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm searching for a open backed headphone with a, close as practical, sound signature to the closed back Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7. Preferably with less isolation than the sennheiser HD600's ( they muffle/filter external high frequencies a little too much for my preference) which are comparably lightweight and fit securely (though comfortably) on the head. Also a comparably low impedance so that they can be driven from a portable audio source. Low-Mid price range.

So far I'm interested in AKG 701 (or 702) and beyerdynamic DT 990. Though there is a lack of information on the internet regarding how "open" these headphones are regarding the amount of external sound they filter from entering the ear. Judging by the design of the Focal Elear headphones I'd expect that they'd be tonally open to external sound, though there out of my price range. Are there any other full size headphones that don't filter external sound as much as the average "open" headphone & are considered to have a overall comparably precise musical reproduction.

casque.png

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Just get the R70x it's literally the same drivers in an open chassis .
The K/Q series is considered to have some of the widest soundstaging and they along with DT990 provide as close to zero isolation as possible .

Aug 13, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Ok thanks for that. I didn't know that the R70x had the same drivers as the ATH-MSR7. Though compared to the 'vents that bypass the speaker' design of the Focal Elear, I'd assume that the ATH-MSR7 wouldn't be "as close to zero isolation as possible". Though the R70x just might be my best budget compromise. . Ideally I'd choose headphones that were also designed to provide a natural hearing response from external sounds, as far as was practical. ( I often listen to music in environments with pleasant sounds.e.g. Birds, streams, etc which can sound nice with certain genres of music)

edit: R70x have a comparably high Independence of 470 ohms so may not be ideal for portable music sources.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 9
The AKG's require a dedicated amplifier, FWIW. I think what you may be looking for is a semi-open headphone

I have the Sine DX and have owned the Sennheiser HD 660 S and whilst I am satisfied with the sound quality of both of these headphones they both noticeably filter out high frequencies from the environment. Which I appreciate isn't a fault in these headphones as there not designed to take into account how sound enters the ear from the environment external to that of the speaker. As mentioned Focal Elear are a little too pricey for me so I'd thought I'd ask around for a more budget option.

"FWIW. I think what you may be looking for is a semi-open headphone"

Oh maybe I'm truly not :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 9
All open headphones provide high frequency attenuation from external sound to some degree, despite what the look might suggest.

Focal Elear is not far from HD600/650 in terms of external high frequency atenuation, and pretty much the same as AKG K7-series or R70X.
The Sennheiser HD700 provide less high frequency attenuation than most other mentioned headphones, so it's among the most 'open' dynamic headphones judged by this.
As @trellus suggested, some Grado headphones like SR125i and 325i are also similar to HD700 in this regard, but different in terms of form factor and sound.

Hifiman HE400S is also a good contender as it provides less high frequency attenuation than HD600 (also less than Elear) and it's pretty easy to drive.

K7-series is quite hard to drive. Considerably harder than HD600/HD650.
HD700 is easier to drive than HD600/HD650 and HE400S is easier to drive than HD700.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #8 of 9
All open headphones provide high frequency attenuation from external sound to some degree, despite what the look might suggest.

Focal Elear is not far from HD600/650 in terms of external high frequency atenuation, and pretty much the same as AKG K7-series or R70X.
The Sennheiser HD700 provide less high frequency attenuation than most other mentioned headphones, so it's among the most 'open' dynamic headphones judged by this.
As @trellus suggested, some Grado headphones like SR125i and 325i are also similar to HD700 in this regard, but different in terms of form factor and sound.

Hifiman HE400S is also a good contender as it provides less high frequency attenuation than HD600 (also less than Elear) and it's pretty easy to drive.

K7-series is quite hard to drive. Considerably harder than HD600/HD650.
HD700 is easier to drive than HD600/HD650 and HE400S is easier to drive than HD700.

Thanks that's a good round up. @ trellus, Thx though I'm not interested in Grado's due to their form factor (not specifically how they sound). I will take another look at the HD700's though had previously been put off by it's reported odd nuances .

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks that's a good round up. @ trellus, Thx though I'm not interested in Grado's due to their form factor (not specifically how they sound). I will take another look at the HD700's though had previously been put off by it's reported odd nuances .

+1 on the HD 700, they are very open -- and certainly far more comfortable than Grado's (at least to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back