Open Air Headphones
Mar 6, 2007 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

didwlgh

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've only had closed cans before, and I have a question about open air headphones-

How much sounds come out when you're listening to it on a decent volume?
Any idea for the top-of the line models ?(akgk701/gs1000/hd650/etc)

After a year with a custom iem, now I'm interested in full size cans....but hate to bother other people with my listening to music (my roommates hate music when they study).

Any ideas on sound emission?

Thank you!
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 6
RS1 / Senn HD = a LOT leaks in/out. I have to turn it up a little to drown out the sound of the heater vents and washing machine.

My wife sings dreamtheater tunes when we are in the computer room together, www surfing. My RS1s are practically like small PC speakers, and I don't listen very loud at all.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Grados are probably the worst perpetrators when it comes to this. Kramer is right -- they really could be used as PC speakers in a pinch. My K701s aren't loud enough to disturb anyone, but they can probably tell what I'm listening to if they're a few feet away. I can't speak for the HD650 -- I really don't remember how much sound it leaked.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 6
To address your original question, the "leakage" from 701s is so loud that it could be considered a small stereo sytem on its own. That's why I bought K81DJs. My wife couldn't stand my Gamma "emmisions", the 701s were out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back