Open air headphones vs closed back headphones vs full size headphones!
Feb 25, 2012 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Music fan 8888

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!  I would like to know the difference between these three headphones as I'm very much inclined to purchase an open air headphone - the GRADO SR60i.  I heard these the other day and found them superb.  They don't distort like my Sennheiser Hd-25  and are not too heavy compared to my full size Ultrasones.  It was my first time I heard Grado and I really liked their sound signiture compared to what I have already.  The only difference is that they are 'open air' but am not sure what this means and what it does to the overall sound. 

Thanks, any help will be appreciated :)

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Open headphones usually have better all around sound (my two cents).
Closed headphones are what you have to use with stuff around you that makes noise or when your spouse wants to sleep.

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Ok thanks! But don't full size headphones give all round sound too? And they r closed back? How does open air improve sound?

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Ok thanks! But don't full size headphones give all round sound too? And they r closed back? How does open air improve sound?

I believe most people like smaller cup sizes, the Princess Leia look it not really popular.
I'm guessing open headphones allows the diaphragm more freedom of movement and less refection of sound waves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back