Open air headphones alternative suggestions
Dec 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jbmorrey

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased the Audio Technica Ad300x headphones, they sound great and i have been really enjoying them except for the fit. I must have a small head because I feel like the pads are huge over my ears and the top "clamp" seem to let them sink down to the top of my ears after a few minutes, I feel myself adjusting them often. So I am looking for the same over ear type of setup but with smaller oval pads, I found a pair of Hd598 used in town, but I tried them at a local store and only had my iPhone to test the sound and they were not that great. However I am thinking that if I had them at home, with my tube amp and such, they would sound much better. Just afraid to take the risk, spend $100 and not be able to return them. Should I be confident that I will like them or are there any other models in the sub $200 price range that I should look at. I really appreciate the help everyone.

James

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 6
On the HD598, I wasn't sure if it was because I was running them solely from only my iPhone and comparing them to the ATH AD300x being run off of my headphone tube amp. Maybe that was an unfair comparison? Also hard for me to compare when I cannot hear them side by side. Of all the great reviews on the HD598's I am wondering if I should just take a leap of faith and buy them still. I found them "perfect condition" used once, online for $120 so it's not a HUGE risk. Does that make sense? I enjoy the mid's and high's, I want them for acoustic and Eric Clapton guitar type music.I am just wondering if the HD598 amplified would be awesome!

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 6
could u like tape down/across the two small earwings to give u a better fit on the cups?

this is on the ad900x...slightly diff earwings..there is a slothole on each earwings , 
didnt see that on your 300x

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Well, I could give that a try, i see a place I could attach something that may work. I know that the sound of a headphone differs from person to person, but what other headphone, with an oval cup and a full band over the head might have a very similar sound? I can easily return the ATH AD300x, I could even upgrade to the 500 or 700 or 900 if the clamping force is better on the "wings". I guess I would rather not rig up a solution, obviously if I could not return these, I would be doing what I had to do.
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back