Open<$200 + Exercise<$30
Dec 2, 2003 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zachary80

1000+ Head-Fier
Open<$180:
These would be my non-portable amped phones to use in addition to my Sony mdr-7509s (chosen for travelling). Music is pretty much everything, but mostly Jazz and Rock. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of the hd-580s. Last time I listened to them, I kind of just passed them over because I needed some travelling headphones. Some people say they aren't all that great for Rock and I read that the 7509s may be better. If I found this I could just use the 7509s for Rock. I don't have an amp yet, but I have a PPA in the later part of the planning stages hopefully coming sometime this month.

Exercise<$30:
Just for working out and running/biking/rollerblading outside, so they need to be open. I was thinking of the mx-500s. The music I would be listening to would be pretty heavy (Metallica, Pantera, Disturbed, Nonpoint).

Dec 3, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 12
^

Dec 3, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Just take all $230 and get the Ety 4s - better sound than the 580's (and just about anything else, for that matter), plus ultra portable and great for workouts. Very good for traveling too (especially on planes and busses).

Dec 3, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 12
I would certainly agree about getting a pair of HD580s. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and love them. I got them used for $110 so if you hunt around you can get a good deal. Otherwise, they are~$150 on amazon. They are extremely comfortable and sound just great.

I just sent off $$ for a JMT amp so they should sing shortly...

Dec 3, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't think I'd use er-4's while biking or running, it's just too dangerous. I'll second the ksc-35's for that kind of activity.

Dec 3, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Tyson
Just take all $230 and get the Ety 4s - better sound than the 580's (and just about anything else, for that matter), plus ultra portable and great for workouts. Very good for traveling too (especially on planes and busses).

I tried out the er4p's and found them intolerably uncomfortable. They gave me a horrible headache in only a few minutes.

Dec 3, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 12
you have to get used to the er4's. some never get used to it but i think the majority do if you keep at it...it is worth it, believe me. i couldn't stand them in the very begining, comfort wise.

some might want to use it for exercising but i wouldn't, thats up to you tho.

i have the hd600's and i use my etys more, home and portably. i love both them tho.

Dec 4, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 12
bump

I found that I don't have more than $180. The exercise 'phones will be bought in around a month, and I just figured I'd consolidate two topics.

Dec 4, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Looking for an open phone to listen to rock with a budget of $180--I think the Sr225 will suite you perfectely--they are known around here as THE phones for rock, along with their older brothers the sr325s. If you get the sr225s make sure to get the modded senns or flat pads for them, though, I think their stock bowl pads make them sound horrible--thin, bright and bass light. I personally like the sr60 just as much, and maybe even more than the sr225s (with every genre of music, including rock) because they have a more even sound and greater bass extension and are only slightly less detailed. Plus the sr60s sell for $60 and the sr225s for $180. I seem to be the only one who thinks this, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you do decide to try the sr60s make sure to replace their stock comfy pads with the modded senn or flat pads--the comfy pads are also horrible sounding IMO.

I'd take both the sr60 and the sr225 over the HD590 --another phone in the same price range that people recommend for rock. I find the HD590 to be overly simblent no matter what source, amp and interconnects I try. I also find them to sound thin, to have an unrealistic husky timbre in the bass (as opposed to the Grados which have a warm timbre) and to have less detail than both of the Grados. I'm not a fan of the HD590 at all--but many people around here like them.

For portable use around $30 and under I'd recommend the MX500--my favorite phones under $50. I used to be a fan of the KSC-35s but now I find them to be too dark and bass heavy. The MX500 sound more balanced to my ears--they're kinda big though so they could be prone to falling out; depending on ear size. I think you can still find the MX500s for $16 from newegg.com. The PX200 is good as well--great clarity, just a little light on the bass and compressed in the soundstage. The KSC-35s and PortaPros are still good too but they are just too dark and boomy sounding for my taste. I don't like the PX100 much because I find them to be even more dark and bass heavy than the two Koss phones.

Dec 5, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 12
You don't even need to spend $180, in my opinion the SR60 with Flat pads is a better deal for $100, in fact the best deal you can get for that price. And I prefer it over the SR225. Yes, I typed that correctly. This only applies if you buy Flat pads with them of course, otherwise they suck. The SR60's are very punchy, dynamic, and exciting headphones. Perfect for rock.

I really think I'd need to give the HD580 another chance on my current system to evaluate it fairly. Back when I had it my source was a D-33 PCDP which is a fairly warm & bassy player which combined with the HD580 may have lead to the rather muddy and inspiring sound I recall. Synergy and all that, or lack of it rather. The reason I am specualting is that I heard the HD600 w/ Clou red on a better system and it was immensely better than I recall the HD580 being. Most people don't regard the HD600 or cable upgrade as that much of a step up from the HD580 so I am being cautious.

Still, I had the Grado RS-1 and Grado SR200 next to me while testing the HD600 and I still think they are superior for Rock...the Sennheisers place too much distance between you and the excitement while Grados place you close and upfront, emphasizing the excitement. I'm not a Jazz guy so I can't fairly evaluate that. But I know that the laid-back mids and expansive soundstage of the HD580 led to a soothing but overly-distanced perspective that I did not prefer.

Am I saying the SR60 is better than the HD580? No. I don't say things like one headphone is "better" than another. I am merely stating my preference and that for $100, I think the SR60 would be much more suitable for your musical tastes and system. Like I said before, perhaps I am unfairly judging the HD580's, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're willing to go all out and get the HD600's with a cable upgrade, and probably most importantly, have a good source. SR60's are rather forgiven and would do better from portable sources and soundcards.

My couple cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back