Opamps at unity gain
May 31, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #16 of 27
attachment.php

attachment.php

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #25 of 27
What kind of probe are you using? A 1x probe will add more load capacitance to the scope's 20pf which some of the opamps might not like much even though the frequency is pretty low. A 10x probe will minimize the capacitive loading (but make sure it is properly compensated!).

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 27
I don't use a probe for the results above. I use a very short shielded cable. When I use the probe (I have an original non-adjustable Tektronix that came with the scope and a Philips 100 MHz 10:1 adjustable capacitance), I get slightly slower rise and fall times only seen when the wave is maginfied ten times. No dramatic difference.

The scope is a 100 MHz digital storage Tektronix 468.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #27 of 27
I realise that this is a bit o/t but......

I can't think of many things that sound worse than an op-amp wired to be a buffer. If I ran across a circuit that needed one, I would find a way to design something else.

Of course, there are ways to lower the signal into the op-amp, and run it at higher gain. Been used over the ages for op-amps that are not unity gain stable.

Did a (non-audio) design for someone a year or two ago. One of the ones we looked at was the ADA8499-1. We ended up using something that had a wider common-mode range. Glad to know that it at least looks nice on the 'scope.

Good job, young man. Keep up the good work.

Jocko

Users who are viewing this thread

Back