Opamps and mods for 0404
Feb 1, 2006 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

saab

500+ Head-Fier
I am going to be receiving an 0404 soon and am warming up my soldering iron. I will be giving it a good listen first, but i presume mods will be in order. I have searched and read through a coupld of older threads and want to clear a few things up.

This is what I care about:
1. Bass. I love lots of heavy hitting, detailed bass
2. Clarity. The music must be clear and crisp
3. Midrange. I love a full and lush midrange

I really am not too clear as to what I will be getting with the emu, but I will find out soon.

Now, to the meat of my post. What should I do to the card to enhance the above properties? What will provide the biggest impact? Will the ad8397 work in there? (I have a few of these laying around)

Thanks, and if I missed anything through search, feel free to let me know
tongue.gif

-John

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 4
First of all, I'd read through the thread just a few down about the AD8397. Its really for high current output, so if you were planning on using you emu with an amp, its not necessary. Not to mention its not particularly stable.

Then, head over to the Computer as Source Forum and search for emu0404 mods, they've got long discussions and even pictures!

So far, I've pulled and jumpered the two buffers, and bypassed the output caps, but haven't swapped the dual main op amp, although I am planning on trying an AD8066 or AD8620 first there.

It does sound "better", but then again I only listened to it stock for about two days
smily_headphones1.gif
And I have made quite a few changes in amplification since then.

Oh, one last thing, probably get a lot of benefit from making a custom breakout cable too, they have plans for that too over there.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by da_burl
First of all, I'd read through the thread just a few down about the AD8397. Its really for high current output, so if you were planning on using you emu with an amp, its not necessary. Not to mention its not particularly stable.

Then, head over to the Computer as Source Forum and search for emu0404 mods, they've got long discussions and even pictures!

So far, I've pulled and jumpered the two buffers, and bypassed the output caps, but haven't swapped the dual main op amp, although I am planning on trying an AD8066 or AD8620 first there.

It does sound "better", but then again I only listened to it stock for about two days
smily_headphones1.gif
And I have made quite a few changes in amplification since then.

Oh, one last thing, probably get a lot of benefit from making a custom breakout cable too, they have plans for that too over there.

Like I said, I have read as much as I could find, but just wanted to clear things up. I found one member who used the 8397 in his 0404, but wanted to hear others opinions. I have to see what opamps I have in the parts drawer, then I will decide what to put down.

I am mainly interested in what parts of the sound spectrum each mod affects. Like, what does removing the caps do to the sound?

Maybe I need to read throught the threads again
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks
-John

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 4
Sorry guys, I have re-read the old posts and think I have found the answers I need.

Any other opinions or feelings are much desired.

Thanks
-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back