Opamp rolling PPA - Which way to put in
Sep 14, 2004 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dcrane

Head-Fier
I purchased 3 AD8610 opamps on browndog adapters for my PPA and am trying to figure out how to put them in - which way is "up". Does it matter? If so, what is the correct orientation?

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 7
Oh yes, it does definitely matter. If you put it in the wrong way, then you'll get a compressed scratchy sound and if you leave it on for too long it'll ruin the op-amp. But anyway.
The "Browndog" letter should be facing opposite the "PPA" letters on the board. I think.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 7
One of the pinholes on the adapter has a square outline, not a circle. That's pin 1. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine where pin 1 goes based on the schematic, board art, and AD8610 datasheet, cause I don't remember off the top of my head
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, orientation on the buffers is important too. They're easier, since you're probably using the DIP-8 package, not surface mount like the AD8610s are -- just look for the notch and match it to the notch on the board. They are not all going in the same direction.

As a side note, if you haven't installed sockets, I really recommend it. Makes installing/removing opamps and buffers much easier.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 7
I Hope this picture help:
AD8610AD8620.jpg

Pin 1 for AD8620 is marked clearly, but for AD8610, you might need torch light to see the small mark on the bottom left of the IC (according to my pics), anyway just follow what you see on the 8620, it is the same for AD8610.

Probably this pic is better to see the small outline below the white mark:
SO8Size.jpg

Try AD8066, it sounds better with amazing bass. Check my small review:
http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2628

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back