Opamp qualities
Oct 17, 2004 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Zealot261

New Head-Fier
Well this is my first post here, but I have been lurking for quite some time now.

My first real question is this, what opamp has the same qualities as the AD8610 except isnt as bright? This is for my wonderful senn HD580s and so far I really enjoy the sound these guys give me from my rega ear(modded of course).
But, according to my ears, they are just a wee bit too bright.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
How about going for an OPA2227/OPA2132?

I think very few people would say the OPA2132 and AD8610 sound even similar. To me they are at opposite end of the spectrums (I prefer the OPA2132 side more). The OPA2227 is similar to the AD8610 and might be worth a shot. The OPA2228 is also worth a look if you are using a gain over 5.

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Come to think of it, I am pretty sure I have a 2227 around someplace. However, since the gain is set pertty high I might just try the 2228.

From what I have listened to now with the HD580, the 627/637 are too dark, even though I really love the detail they provide.

Thanks for the info.

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 12
AD825.
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

AD843....are hard to find

Not in the US. Newark carries them. I think Digi-Key does as well, but their site is b0rken at the moment.

Oct 19, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
Not in the US. Newark carries them. I think Digi-Key does as well, but their site is b0rken at the moment.

I didn't realise that. But Newark/ Farnell in Singapore doesn't carry them at all.

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Newark/ Farnell in Singapore doesn't carry them at all.

Farnell is a relatively recent acquisition of Newark. They're not really "InOne" yet. Until they have a unified part numbering system, I advise you to think of them as separate entities.

By the way, Digi-Key's site is behaving again, and they do indeed have several variants of the 843 in stock, including the exotic $32/pop AD843SQ.

You know, it's ironic that you people on the Eastern Pacific Rim can't get ADI chips easily. That's where they're made! Almost all of the packages I've received from them came from their factory in the Philippines or Malaysia. You'd think a box could find its way to a nearby island easier than to the US...

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Update,
Well I have tried several of the suggestions. Once I tried the AD8065, I had no desire to continue. The seemed to just fit right.
On a side note, putting them on the adapter was a real pain. I have never had to tax my solder skills that much, and that did. But, it was worth it and I didnt break anything.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Oct 21, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
You know, it's ironic that you people on the Eastern Pacific Rim can't get ADI chips easily. That's where they're made! Almost all of the packages I've received from them came from their factory in the Philippines or Malaysia. You'd think a box could find its way to a nearby island easier than to the US...

You are so right Tangent. It really makes me wonder re: globalisation when I order opamps and they get sent from USA but are made in Malaysia. I am in Singapore. I also know that a popular brand barcode scanners are made in Singapore but when we buy it retail, it comes from the head office in USA, the scanners themselves are stamped "Made in Singapore".

Oops sorry for hijacking the thread....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back