OpAmp based amplifiers / PS vs 9V
Jun 19, 2003 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xander

The XanMan is back!
Maybe I'm crazy. I've articulated some of the best power supplies I could possibly create. On a scope, damn near no ripple. Buffered, and buffered, filtered, huge transformers, the works. Then on the other end you have a little amplifier based upon some cute little OpAmps, 18v vs 18v, the 9Volt batteries still sound leagues ahead! rarrr!

Anyone else ever get them selves in a similar pickle?

Jun 19, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello,

For opamp based amplifiers, the quality of power supply means much less than discrete amplifiers. In fact, you really don't need sophisticated regulation system for opamp based ampliifers.

This is because opamps that WE (HeadFiers and HeadWizers) recommend have very high supply ripple rejection over very wide bandwidth. Also, the inputs are designed so that normal noise coming from supply is very unlikely to escape to the signal. (Given you don't connect output to rail with a resistor.) Although this system is not as good as LM317 and other specially made regulators, this makes a life extremely good for power supply designers and builders.

Battery use will give you less ripple. However, there are problems too. It is very difficult to find suitable high voltage batteries. 9V batteries has relatively small current per hour rating. People stack many batteries to achieve high voltage, but doing that will increase the supply impedance which necessitate the use of ground drivers. Also, you cannot pull too much current off of batteries.

And, last and the most importantly, you have to recharge. ... I hate recharging time. I wanna turn on my system whenever I feel like and be able to listen. I wait all day waiting for experiments, people, phone calls, compilation, printing, copying, etc etc. When I am off work I would like to avoid that if I can.

Yeah lots of pluses and minuses. What I do is to use battery if I have to build a portable amp. Otherwise, I stick with outlets. I found it very interesting to work with AC and have gotten superb results. I say battery operation isn't all crack out to be considering the negatives.

T

Jun 19, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 4
I understand all the juju. I'm attempting to disreguard the juju, as the battery still sounds better. I don't understand why it should, I just know it does. And I'm wondering if anyone can concur. Someone atleast, thats willing to disreguard the juju. God I love that word. Even though it really isnt one..
wink.gif

juju out!

Jun 19, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 4
PPL told me the Following >

I myself have yet to hear an AC power supply sound better than a good set of batteries Ni- Cad or NI-MH types LI-On also sound sweeet Alkaline too loose in the Bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back