opa627-work well with exactly 12 volts?
Aug 3, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 6
imho, not very well. you'll get get sound out of it, but i don't think it really starts to shine until you give it a bit more juice.

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Well, how about 2 9-volts arranged in series with another set arrangned in parralel?

FWIW, I used the series/parrallell arrangement with my cha47/ad8610 biased class A (constant current source). With the series/parrallel setup, you get both voltage and current needed to drive both low and high impedence phones. Though I did build 24v regulated supply that I used for my bedroom setup, and I like that better.

Aug 4, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 6
I think you're asking the wrong question, HD. I think this chip will work well from exactly 12V. But then you say you're using batteries, which will only be at exactly 12V for about, oh, 3 minutes after turning the power switch on. They drop from there as they discharge.

I make this point because if you were to use a wall power supply that gave 12V, I wouldn't worry at all. Sure, a smidge more voltage might help a bit, but at 12V, you will have gotten rid of all the nasty clipping on high musical peaks with demanding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back