OPA2277, my current favourite - very short comparision
Feb 2, 2005 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

enemigo

100+ Head-Fier
Have been searching around for impressions on the OPA2277 for a while without any luck. So Idecided to buy one, thought I'd share my impressions.

I compared the following opamps in no particular order:

OPA2132/2134: Not sure if there are any differences between these two. But if there is, I like to believe the OPA2134 has a very slight advantage in the bass. A little more presicion and punch. Compared to the OPA2277, the 132/134 lacks a bit of detail and offers more bass with less precision, it's not as dry and hard hitting. My 2nd favourite during the test for my setup.

OPA2604: Did a worse job than the OPA2134(2). Even more bass with less precision, the music was almost bouncing around inside my head. The highs were not better than the OPA2134(2), probably worse, or they just sounded worse with the bass. My least favourite.

OPA2227: Have received some good reviews, but was far to bright with my setup. Lack of bass made it boring, and the highs pierced a bit. Listening fatigue came quickly. 3rd place of these four.

OPA2277: Good precision in the bass, dry and hitting hard. Highs are far more detailed than 2134/2132/2604, but not as pronounced as the OPA2227. Not producing listening fatigue. You guessed it, the winner IME.

So, to my setup. Sony DVP-NS905V, a Mint-ish class A, single buffered amp and my MS-1's with bowls. This is a fairly bright setup to begin with, explaining why I didn't like the OPA2777 too good. I usually enjoy a slightly bright setup giving an open and dynamic sound, but I also am allergic to piercing highs.

Knut

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Have you tried the OPA627? (You'd need a single to dual adapter) I've had the AD8610 the OPA627 and the OPA637 in my PPA, and the OPA627 was the best of the three. I found the 627 and 637 both dynamic and detailed where the AD8610 was just dynamic without the detail. I liked the 627 over the 637 based on shutdown noise. I made the mistake of using 9000uf in my PPA, and the 627 is much more stable as the voltage level drops.

Feb 3, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Have got a small number of OPA627's laying around. Will be building a pimeta based amp with them some day. Not tried them yet... Not heard any of the AD's, having trouble finding them up here. Might be "forced" to sample them...

Knut

Feb 3, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 7
The AD8610s are detailed, but they're rather aggressive, which I guess kind of hides the detail, when they're so "in-your-face." Works well with a somewhat dark phone like my DT440s.

I found the OPA627s to sound very good, but be too mellow for my tastes (in a PIMETA). Using them in a PPA may be a little different, though.

I'm curious as to whether I could manage to get LM6171s working in a PPA. Now that would be awesome. XD

Enemigo, be thankful you're not using Analog Devices opamps. You would wince; they do not work well in a "bright" setup.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 7
ive just dropped the lm6172 and 6171 in to my pimeta and i have to say im pleased with the results. granted it is only being fed 14v via batteries but its a much more enjoyable listen atm then the opa x134 combo and opa 627 combos ive had in previously. i will need to give it a bit more of a listen but its a likely candidate for use in my portable pimeta. ima have a 24v dc psu done soon and i will put in some serious listening and comparison time then. but for the moment its a really enjoyable listen. well worth a shot considering its relatively cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back