Op Amp question
May 12, 2003 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

spott

Head-Fier
First off, are Op Amps interchangeble on the CMOY? secondly is there a difference between different Op Amps, or are they all the same. if there is a difference, what is it, and is there such thing as the "best" opamp.

thanks

May 12, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 8
First off, are Tires interchangeable on the Porsche Boxster? secondly, is there a difference between different Tires, or are they all the same? if there is a difference, what is it, and is there such a thing as the "best" tire.

May 12, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 8
And if you think that review I wrote is long, think again. It glosses over a whole lot of details.

Op-amps are a very deep subject, Spott my friend.

May 12, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 8
thank you all. that review you wrote tangent was excellent, thanks alot

May 12, 2003 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
And if you think that review I wrote is long, think again. It glosses over a whole lot of details.

Op-amps are a very deep subject, Spott my friend.

Try to test the AD8610. This opamp is my favorite at the moment. I'm amazed over the very low offset voltage, only 70 uV at the output of my headphone amp!

May 12, 2003 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 8
It's not a question of testing it, it's finding the time to write it up. Too many other things to do at the moment. I'm on record as liking this chip a lot, too.

May 12, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by spott
thank you all. that review you wrote tangent was excellent, thanks alot

Do you know what "spott" is in Swedish? saliva!

To give a more precise answer: Opamps have to have a minimum performance in order to be suitable for audio and the most important parameter is speed. The second problem is input bias currents and the circuit around. If the design is made for opamps with JFET inputs you can get into trouble if you replace it with a NE5534 which have rather large currents. But in general you can change opamps if you don't choose too slow or too fast. Fast opamps requires often more careful pcb layouting.

Slew rate between 5-100 V/ us is the normal audio range and more than 10 V/us is my recomendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back