Oops I did it again: Radiohead "The Bends"
Apr 17, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #31 of 38
Yeah, if I picked up the album now, I wouldn't be as attached to it as I am. It really captured the moment of the mid-nineties like grinch was saying. I don't know if you're still reading this thread Mr. "Big Willy" PD
biggrin.gif
, but I'll try pointing out instances on the album that really shine for me. Planet Telex was the drummer's song. That drum pattern was the shee-yit for me. But the band really came together for Just. Again drums: the breakbeats. Jonny's guitar playing was in top form there too. I don't think it'll ever be emulated to that extent because it looked painful. He'd thrash that guitar like a jigsaw, and I think he's had arm problems because of it ( see also Creep, Paranoid Android, My Iron Lung).

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #32 of 38
OK...let's not get carried away with things here...

When I hear people saying that Radiohead is a good (or even very good) band, I'm with them. However, don't start comparing them to Zepplin, Floyd, the Stones or ESPECIALLY the Beatles when it comes to leaving a mark on music. That's just crazy talk.

I must admit that I didn't like Radiohead for a long time. I found Thom Yorke's voice to be WAY too screechy, and besides, anyone who spells Tom with an "h" deserves a bit of scorn.
tongue.gif

I've come around to liking them lately, but they are a bit too deep and dissonant for me at times. Like Grinch, it also bugs me that they would dedicate a whole album to American politics...hey Thom, get a life. However, they are without a doubt a very talented band that has produced some very good works.

I like all kinds of music, even some of the stuff regularly run down by some. Depends on my mood...I don't need for my music to be the rock equivalent of a religious experience every time I strap on the cans.

Apr 18, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by grinch
"the bends" has influenced hundreds of bands and albums over the past decade.

Sorry, if I'm missing something here, but this is very hard for me to believe (at least for bands and albums that are not much more influenced by music that proceeded it by a few years). Could you name ten albums out of the hundreds?

The Bends is solid, pretty f$&%king good, and I can see how someone would love it, like previously people went crazy over The Joshua Tree or Fables of the Reconstruction. But revolutionary it aint (like those which were very good, but that's it). It's not a Sgt. Peppers, Pet Sounds, VU and Nico, Slanted and Enchanted (no contradiction), Doolittle... or maybe OK Computer. Hell, it's not even a little bump like Siamese Dream (yuck), Mellow Gold, White Blood Cells, etc.

Apr 18, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #35 of 38
My opinion on Radiohead is this: with the limited number of songs I've heard from them, I find they are a very interesting mix of genres, such a mix that I would have logically presumed I would enjoy their music. But unfortunately, something's missing, and it elicits no emotion from me. While I can understand certain people's affection towards the music, it strikes no chord with me.

But I swear, for how mellow Radiohead is, some of their fans are ready to kick names and take ass (name ass... kick... whatever...) when someone insults the band outright. For Zeppelin's sake, they're not THAT good
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
...for how mellow Radiohead is, some of their fans are ready to kick names and take ass (name ass... kick... whatever...) when someone insults the band outright. For Zeppelin's sake, they're not THAT good
biggrin.gif

Be careful what you say, man. You might get slapped
wink.gif
... or scratched
eek.gif
. Ha ha, but in all seriousness, I think that if it came down to a fair fight between Zeppelin and Radiohead, hair pulling aside the geezers could take those Oxford kids down.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
radiohead sucks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
... i hate radiohead, always have, always will. ...

what's next - the pope getting married?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back