Oops - custom IEMs not so comfortable as I thought
Jan 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mike1127

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
I recently took the plunge and purchased a custom IEM, a Ultimate Ears 5. I don't often make non-refundable purchases.

I am having major headaches (literally) with the fit. And I thought they would be more comfortable than expanding-foam in-ear-canals. Fortunately UE warrants against bad fit and say they will work with me, but I have had a real awakening to the extreme nature of shoving something hard deep into your ear.

Here's the deal. UE asks the audiologist to take the impression with your mouth open 1". I guess that movement in the jaw bones can slightly change the shape of the ear canal, and this instruction gives the best (most secure) fit.

So I get this thing in my ear... you damn right movement in the jaw changes the shape of the ear canal. In no way shape or form is this thing "nestling" inside my ear. Every time I move my jaw I feel it's poking or prodding in one direction or another.

Now, you should know that I have a chronic pain and inflammation condition, so I am more likely than most people to be bothered by discomfort. I have never been able to wear tight expanding-foam earplugs, and with non-custom IEMs I guess I don't put them in all the way. I never really thought about that, but with a custom IEM it is obvious how FREAKIN FAR that thing goes into your ear. I mean, they say not to put Q-tips in your ear. This is like putting a hard plastic q-tip way down in your ear, way further than Mom would ever let you put something when you were a kid.

So I sent an email to UE and said, "Hey why don't we do the impression with my jaw in a more normal position for me." She wrote back, "It's very important to do the jaw-open position, but we can take a second impression and then taper it some."

So I guess they are going to try to narrow down the fit. I have no idea how they would know how much to narrow it, or where. I really don't want to have multiple attempts beyond this point. But I have no choice but to follow their instructions, and I guess if they are warranting it, can't complain.

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 6
Sounds like your ear canals are super sensitive because of your condition
frown.gif

UE has this little program on their website where you describe the characteristics you are feeling at various parts of the ear with whatever part of the custom resides there. You might want to get some help from an audiologist to really get a good description going though. At the very extreme you have the audiologist make another set of impressions and have him compare that with your customs to see where exactly things are different.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 6
This is why I keep my universals for quick on-the-go listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back