Ontario Cellphone Users Question
Dec 26, 2006 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Does anyone know of a plan that allows for unlimited incoming long distance calls from a regular phone with in Ontario to the cell phone?

Thanks,

Biggie.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 5
as far as I know, the only way to do this is with a bit of phone trickery/voip. What you do is get a number that is local to the area that person is in, and get a voip redirect. Therefore all calls from that number are local calls.

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 5
Cell phone long distance in Canada is a ****ing joke
mad.gif
You'd think that even with a few companies we'd have more competition.

For outgoing calls we use a long distance service for the landline phone (win-tel) that allows you to add several cell phones and use their local access numbers in cities all over Ontario. This is how companies like Bell used to operate (local access numbers for long distance) before they figured out they could make way more money by charging 20 cents/minute to call the next town over.

Now that I'm having a good rant about Canadian cell phone carriers... ROGERS. It seems like we're worse off than we were years ago because of them. When that Verizon 0.02 dollars vs. 0.02 cents thing was making the rounds, it just make me think about how we don't get rates like $0.02/KB even if you pay Rogers $100/month for their 200MB plan. Since they bought Fido, things have been going down the drain. No $50 unlimited data plan, no (non-******) City Fido, 9pm evening calling, no reasonable US roaming rates. Now it's all 95 cents/minute for local calls (I recall it was something like 20 cents/minute plus airtime with Fido before), or $1.70/minute to call back to Canada!!
blink.gif
My dad just buys a throwaway prepaid phone when he's down there because it's much cheaper than taking his Rogers phone. We have a family calling plan from 1-1/2 years ago that's better than anything they've offered since then. 1-1/2 years without no improvement, now there's progress.

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 5
Interesting timing for this thread. My wife really wants me to get a cell phone now that I am travelling a lot with my job. I hate the idea but I do realize the convenience of having near 100% communication access. My friend is about to get hired as a RIM engineer and was saying he would get me a Pearl in the next month. Would I need to stick with Rogers? Could I get something better in Canada if I used that phone? Europe is so lucky with their carriers, North America simply bites.

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 5
My cellphone number is local to London. If I'm in Oakville, which is long distance from London, and call someone on my cellphone that lives in London, am I being charged for long distance?

Thanks,

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back