Only person in a movie theater room
Feb 14, 2016 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember few years back, I used to live in a small town in Pennsylvania with a lower population density and there was movie theater very close by.

On cold quiet week nights, I would see a movie and hardly anyone would be there. On 2 occasions, I would actually be the only person in the theater room and I saw Lost in Translation and Match Point which coincidently had Scarlet Johannson in these films.

I gotta admit, being the only person in the theater felt strange but it also felt like a luxury.

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 18
Wow, are you sure you were not in an adult movie theater? :wink:

Just kiddin' around. I once saw Gladiator with Russell Crowe in CA with around a handful or 2 handfuls of people in the theater, but even that was around lunch time.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 18
It´s the best cinema experience in the world. There is just to much ambient noise with other people around.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 18
My theory is that there probably are many opportunities to be the only person in a movie theater. I have in the past have driven through many small sleepy towns in the middle of no where and many movie theaters have show times at around 11 pm on week nights.

I think it would be interesting to drive out in the middle of Idaho and visit one of those random towns to search for that isolated experience for the ultimate feeling of escapism.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 18
Or you just watch movie at home by yourself :)

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 18
That's lucky. Over here when the cinema's crowded one can opt to pay more for the La-Z-Boy chair section, but it's too far to the back and too high up that I hate sitting there. On the upside though we get reserved seating and internet ticketing now, so the day before I go I can select the seats where my head will be level and I'm sitting almost dead center. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 18
That's excellent high tech stuff. Good stuff. 

On the opposite end, I have been to the movie theaters in New York City a bunch of times and there is never an empty room. In fact, there is actually a line to get in many times.

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the opposite end, I have been to the movie theaters in New York City a bunch of times and there is never an empty room. In fact, there is actually a line to get in many times.

That's why we started doing online ticketing - the lines every Saturday at around noontime are horrible! One time we had an 8am to 11am class in grad school, which without traffic was about 10mins away from the mall at around 40kph, only one stoplight. Professor dismissed early, I was there by 10am, got tickets to GI Joe: Rise of Cobra at 11am, and at the THX theater too. By the time I got out after that all four ticketing counters had lines that go all the way out to the elevated garden area outside (theater was in the fourth floor of the mall). By now the lines are shorter since you can waltz in with a printed receipt and the ticket printer is right by each theater (and I get it early so I just walk in by the time it starts). 

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 18
I think I would enjoy flying on a large 747 jet and being the only passenger. I've read that it has happened.

And then go to a movie theater in a ghost town and be the only customer.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 18
I think I would enjoy flying on a large 747 jet and being the only passenger. I've read that it has happened.

It happened a few weeks ago, and the local newspaper managed to confuse Hitler with Kangaroos. I can't believe who the hell they hire nowadays, jeeeeez.

And then go to a movie theater in a ghost town and be the only customer.

One thing I like about being in a high density area though is we get technology. Apart from online ticketing to make the task less like hell, we get 3D+Dolby or THX on nearly all of them. Then there's an IMAX also and 4D within short driving distance (unless you drive it in rush hour, in which case a bike would get there in a third of the time, but with about a bucket of sweat).

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 18
Yeah, there are advantages in living in high density areas. I've lived in both high and low density areas and both have advantages and disadvantages.

I usually don't like low density areas unless if it's really extreme low density where there is nobody for hundreds of miles like out in a desert or vast wasteland of emptiness because the isolation is so intense that it's beautiful and mind altering.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 18
Yeah, there are advantages in living in high density areas. I've lived in both high and low density areas and both have advantages and disadvantages.

I usually don't like low density areas unless if it's really extreme low density where there is nobody for hundreds of miles like out in a desert or vast wasteland of emptiness because the isolation is so intense that it's beautiful and mind altering.

Well on the upside, if I was rich enough, I'd live in a low density area. Surrounded by cattle. Supplies arrive by truck the same way I send out meat to steakhouses. And since I'm that wealthy, might as well have a really good HT system. Barring movies I can't really delay seeing, like StarWars because everyone will talk about it and spoil it for me (for which I can drive to an area with a good theater), I can just watch movies there.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 18
On a side note, I have visited beaches in January where it would be extremely cold and I be all alone with no one around. It does feel kind of strange but at the same time, there is an unusual beauty and vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back