Only outputting sound from left speaker
Feb 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Lewcifer

New Head-Fier
My setup is PC (Foobar2000) --> Audioengine D1 DAC (tried over USB and optical - I have always used toslink optical and with no problems before) --> RCA to Audioengine 5+ speakers...everything was working just fine before and both speakers work by going PC --> 1/8 --> A5+. I am stumped. When using headphones through the D1, both L and R work properly...however I am only getting L audio through the D1 to the A5+. This is driving me nuts, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 11
If I am following your posting right, the issue seems between the D1->A5?
Everything else seems to work fine. However, the A5 also work fine, so the issue is with the speaker outputs on the D1?  Does that seem right to you?

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
If I am following your posting right, the issue seems between the D1->A5?
Everything else seems to work fine. However, the A5 also work fine, so the issue is with the speaker outputs on the D1?  Does that seem right to you?

Yeah, that seems right...the RCA output of the D1 or the RCA input of the A5+ or between the input of the A5+ and the right speaker...the headphones have L and R working, so it is coming in to the D1 properly via toslink.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Check the wires and binding posts at the back of your A5's right speaker. Mine comes loose from time to time.

Yeah, I checked them and they are secure. The only thing it could be is the RCA output of the D1 or the input on the A5+. It works fine over the 1/8 inch straight out of the motherboard, but of course, that means on board DAC.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 11
I am talking about the outputs of the D1...if that is where your issue is, between the D1 and A5 and the A5 work on their own.  The outputs of the D1 are at fault, can you try the D1 with something else to verify if the output is working or not?
The first step in troubleshooting is to isolate down to one component. :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I am talking about the outputs of the D1...if that is where your issue is, between the D1 and A5 and the A5 work on their own.  The outputs of the D1 are at fault, can you try the D1 with something else to verify if the output is working or not?
The first step in troubleshooting is to isolate down to one component. :)

I am going to try the outputs on another set of speakers tomorrow, and yes the A5+ are working, but they are working over the 1/8 inch input. If the other speakers don't work, then it is definitely the output from the D1, but if they do, it is the input on the A5+. I will post my findings tomorrow.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 11
Sorry it took so long, I had a busy week...so I took the D1 downstairs to a laptop hooked up to a 5.1 receiver and speakers. Output from the laptop --> D1 --> receiver --> speakers and only the right front, right rear and center speakers worked. It has got to be one of the RCA outputs from the D1 for sure. I am going to contact Audioengine for a replacement, as this unit is only a few weeks old.

May 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Long overdue...been really busy, but Audioengine sent out a replacement set of A5+'s for free with a return shipping label for my current ones. They should be here by Monday and I hope that it was the speakers that were the problem. The reason I believe they were was because after this issue popped up, even using the direct 1/8" connection from my PC (no DAC in between), the right side speaker was louder and when using my iPhone --> 1/8" --> RCA adapter into the A5+'s, the right side was louder as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back