Only believe your own ears! (Or how I discovered the HD 598SE)
Dec 10, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #16 of 24
I went through a similar journey for 3 months and settled with hd 598se. The funny thing is I too haven't considered these at first. But at that price it would be an idiocy to let them pass. So I went for them and man I never was this much satisfied. I originally was planning to get a Sony mdr100aap and m50x and Beyerdynamic t51p. I never got the chance to try the t51p though. But I am super super satisfied with these 598se. And they sound great out of my ipod which is even better. I mostly listen to post rock, some classical some pop.. And these are perfect for me..

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #17 of 24
Is this thread about the HD598, or about following our ears? Haha, just kidding, but the thread has somehow taken both topics as its main theme... Which I love!

Actually, I received my own set of 598 SE a few days ago (wait for my detailed impressions in the main 598 thread), and I must say, I feel like the original post: no mattwe how many reviews and impressions I read, the experience I'm having with them doesn't match what people usually say about them. So I got an entirely different product than what I was promised.

And yet, instead of being upset about it, it turned out the opposite way. Those differences made my experience even better than what I expected. These cans gave me a big surprise, and my ears are loving it! I couldn't be happier, I actually think I already found my perfect headphone. So yes, in the end it won't matter how many reviews you read onlone, the only way to know something is to try it yourself. And once you tried, novody's opinion will matter but yours. Just follow your ears. It will be worthy.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #18 of 24
I went through a similar journey for 3 months and settled with hd 598se. The funny thing is I too haven't considered these at first. But at that price it would be an idiocy to let them pass. So I went for them and man I never was this much satisfied. I originally was planning to get a Sony mdr100aap and m50x and Beyerdynamic t51p. I never got the chance to try the t51p though. But I am super super satisfied with these 598se. And they sound great out of my ipod which is even better. I mostly listen to post rock, some classical some pop.. And these are perfect for me..

Glad to hear this Arunabha, enjoy them! :)

Is this thread about the HD598, or about following our ears? Haha, just kidding, but the thread has somehow taken both topics as its main theme... Which I love!

Actually, I received my own set of 598 SE a few days ago (wait for my detailed impressions in the main 598 thread), and I must say, I feel like the original post: no mattwe how many reviews and impressions I read, the experience I'm having with them doesn't match what people usually say about them. So I got an entirely different product than what I was promised.

And yet, instead of being upset about it, it turned out the opposite way. Those differences made my experience even better than what I expected. These cans gave me a big surprise, and my ears are loving it! I couldn't be happier, I actually think I already found my perfect headphone. So yes, in the end it won't matter how many reviews you read onlone, the only way to know something is to try it yourself. And once you tried, novody's opinion will matter but yours. Just follow your ears. It will be worthy.

That's exactly how I felt when I first put them on, expecting the "no bass" and "brightness" to unleash upon me :))
I put on the song that I always have with a new headphone: Seal - Crazy. It sounded sublime :)
Talking about "no bass", I'm now listening to "Queen - Greatest Hits I - 2011 Remaster". It sounds exactly how it should. "Another One Bites The Dust" thumps with the bass line exactly how it's supposed to. "Save Me" is delicate and soulful. Freddie's voice is articulate and emotional. Isn't this what music is about? Next up "The Beatles - Abbey Road" which is my favorite album of all-time / all-genre :)
I'm soo happy with these headphones!

If "bass" is the sound that comes out when the finger strums a bass string, or when a bass drum is hit, then these headphones have the perfect sound of it.
If "bass" is a bold background noise meant to envelop everything else, or hit your ear-drums in a violent way, then you should look elsewhere.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #19 of 24
I too bought the headphones on sale. Couldn't resist. :)

I agree about the bass, it's rich and nice. Not like M50, but different. I like listening Rock music on these too. Electric guitar can sound bit harsh on a pronounced and bright headphones like M50 but a delight on HD598. Happy listening. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #20 of 24
Glad to hear this Arunabha, enjoy them! :)

That's exactly how I felt when I first put them on, expecting the "no bass" and "brightness" to unleash upon me :))
I put on the song that I always have with a new headphone: Seal - Crazy. It sounded sublime :)
Talking about "no bass", I'm now listening to "Queen - Greatest Hits I - 2011 Remaster". It sounds exactly how it should. "Another One Bites The Dust" thumps with the bass line exactly how it's supposed to. "Save Me" is delicate and soulful. Freddie's voice is articulate and emotional. Isn't this what music is about? Next up "The Beatles - Abbey Road" which is my favorite album of all-time / all-genre :)
I'm soo happy with these headphones!

If "bass" is the sound that comes out when the finger strums a bass string, or when a bass drum is hit, then these headphones have the perfect sound of it.
If "bass" is a bold background noise meant to envelop everything else, or hit your ear-drums in a violent way, then you should look elsewhere.

You basically described my first encounter with the HD 598SE: I was expecting no bass and an over the top, sibilant treble. Instead, I got no sibilance or harnesh at all, but I did get a tight, powerful, yet balanced bass. The kind of bass that shines when the recording contains upright bass because you can feel those loooong, fat strings being plucked.

Speaking of the Beatles, my 598SE arrived last Tuesday (Dec. 8th), so I named them "Lennon", and the very first song I played with my Lennons on was John's own "Crippled Inside" from my father's Imagine LP. That song alone showed me what this phone is capable of.

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 24
You basically described my first encounter with the HD 598SE: I was expecting no bass and an over the top, sibilant treble. Instead, I got no sibilance or harnesh at all, but I did get a tight, powerful, yet balanced bass. The kind of bass that shines when the recording contains upright bass because you can feel those loooong, fat strings being plucked.

Speaking of the Beatles, my 598SE arrived last Tuesday (Dec. 8th), so I named them "Lennon", and the very first song I played with my Lennons on was John's own "Crippled Inside" from my father's Imagine LP. That song alone showed me what this phone is capable of.

Just listened to it, great song! God rest John's soul...

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #22 of 24
So what I learned from my three months experience in reading reviews, opinions, watching videos, and buying headphones?  
It was a waste of time.
You can take everything I just wrote and throw it away. It is useless. This forum is useless. IF you try to use it like i did, that is.

GO AND LISTEN TO THE HEADPHONES!

Find a showroom, find a way to listen to them. Only then will you find what you're looking for.
All this is a very subjective and personal matter, everyone hears differently, and has different expectations. Also comfort matters 120%. It can be the most sublime sound for you, if you have to put it away 15 minutes later, it is all in vain.

I had the luck to find my perfect headphone the hard way.

Um would you buy a car based on magazine reviews or online reviews, instead of test-driving the car?

Probably not. Same rule applies to anything you buy, at least with me.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #23 of 24

Um would you buy a car based on magazine reviews or online reviews, instead of test-driving the car?

Probably not. Same rule applies to anything you buy, at least with me.

You cannot generalize. A car and a headphone are very different products. You cannot "test-drive" every phone, tablet, laptop you buy. You can only buy and return.
However, when it comes to headphones, it's especially helpful to try to test a few models in a showroom because every one's expectation in terms of audio is very different and personal, and you cannot follow reviews. With other products you can, to a larger degree, base your purchase on reviews.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #24 of 24

You cannot generalize. A car and a headphone are very different products. You cannot "test-drive" every phone, tablet, laptop you buy. You can only buy and return.
However, when it comes to headphones, it's especially helpful to try to test a few models in a showroom because every one's expectation in terms of audio is very different and personal, and you cannot follow reviews. With other products you can, to a larger degree, base your purchase on reviews.

Sure I can. Not everybody lives in an area with good return policies like the USA. If you do, good for you, but not all of us are in that situation. 

Laptop ? Damn right I test drove it in the Apple reseller by running bash scripts in the terminal but then again its *NIX based so I know how it works.

If you base your purchases on internet reviews, well that is up to you. The internet is no longer like it was in the 80s' and early 90's where usenet was the place to get advice and you pretty much knew everybody so you wouldn't get these yahoos mouthing off with their so called reviews. Sound preference is very much a subjective thing and only you can tell what's good, again like a car, even an expert's opinion won't be based on the same preference as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back