Online Supplier List
May 26, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
:

Pinkster,I really need something for Spain,the former Warsaw pact nations,maybe Italy and maybe a link or two more for our backwards toilet water brothers (think about it
wink.gif
) but not something just to "add" ,more something not only useful but with a high rep from someone who has done business with the outfits.No way I send folks to an unknown just to have it and make me look good.

lotta wolves out there in the electronic woods
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hi Rickster,

I have personally done business with the four firms I linked to above and they are all nothing short of exemplary in the way they conduct their business, particularly Rapid Electronics, those four are probably the best 4 in the UK without doubt (and probably even the world)

I'll keep an eye out for some Spanish DIY links.... you may be interested to learn that Shaun Williams of http://www.williamshart.com/ is now living and operating his business in Spain so there's one the Spaniards can use.

All the best.

Mike.

May 26, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

hey pinkster ,I always thought i had the Maplin link in there you should have PMed me man !

not needing the service I never actually checked for it.
tongue.gif

the other three-

convince me they offer things of true value that can not be had at either Maplin or Cricklwood.No way I have time right now to cross refernece all five sites for something special or unique as I usually do.

would cut into my beer drinking time
k1000smile.gif

OK Rick,

RS components are Expensive but you can get everything under the sun from them. Deltron have a MOQ of £25, they are not as expensive as RS but the £25 MOQ can be a pain in the butt.

Rapid are the best for value without a shadow of a doubt.... £8.50 for an ALPS RK27 as opposed to £18.50 for the same pot from RS for example.. they are very cheap but the component quality is very high...... Rapid live up to their name and if you order before 8pm your order will arrive on your doorstep the following day... they really are an amazing company and the girls in their customer service department are always very helpful, extremely clued up and very efficient.

I think that anyone who has ever dealt with Rapid will agree they are one pretty special firm to deal with..... first class service, rapid delivery and top quality parts.... 10/10

Mike.

May 26, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Nate is HIRED !

NONONONONO I do not want a job
biggrin.gif
! I'm up to my eyeballs in paypal invoices!

May 26, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Quiet down in here!

just when the party was getting interesting "mom' shows up dammit !

Just kidding man.
biggrin.gif

as a side note-any links suggestions or reports of bad links should be made via the PM as stated on the links page to prevent going too far from topic as has occured here.

Proceed gentlemen but on topic please.......
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

save it man.I have enough links to last me several lifetimes right here at my fingertips and thought better to not include them being as I said,mostly redundant.

roger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
okay Gump, if you don't get how you cracked on Rick lemme explain it for you...

Rick is a VOLUNTEER who gives his time to this site to provide us with a smooth running community. In addition to voluteering to shepard this band of misfits he scours the web for links that a DIY'er might find interesting. He takes the time to maintain the "BIG LIST" and updates when he finds new stuff. Or if he thinks that a particular link might cause further confusion on the list he posts it individually in a separate thread so at least people get to see it.

Now you come along and say, "Hey everybody, why hasn't anyone taken the time to sticky a list of DIY links?" Imagine Rick, probalby sitting at work saying, "What is this guy talking about, it's right at the top of the page??!?" Then, when a couple of us point out the list that's already right there you say, "Thanks guys, but that list is old and isn't updated and doesn't contain every possible link that I could want." And Rick's now sitting there saying, "What is this guy talking about, I update that list damn near all the time!"

point taken. Never was any harm meant. That said its probably a western-American vernacular thing, but when I scoured the stickies the first time I read the title, "The DIY Big List & Rules Section", to read as a list of forum rules, not any useful information, thusly didnt click inside, a flame worthy offense I agree.

Quote:

So, step away from your keyboard and realize that if this site had a link to everything you could want it'd be google and just as hard to find the stuff that you're really looking for.

I was looking for some FOTM IC suppliers in the sticky, not some silly obscure geocities shops. I agree jumping to the conclusion of it being outdated was flameworthy. Rickcr42 you have my apologies on that.

Thanks for constructive vote Pink.

May 26, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #22 of 37
I must say that I appreciate all the work that Rick and the other mods do, but it took me a long time to find the list of links everyone kept bringing up (quite a while ago mind you) I thought, as bubbagump apparently did, that it was a big list of rules, not a big list of links and the list of rules. I am just saying that I can kinda see where bubbagump is comming from.

Thanks Rick, your work is definaely appreciated.
-John

May 26, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 37
Leave the Rickster alone...... mess with him and you mess with me.

Trust me, you don't want a rickPink combo on your tail.........

Mikee.

EDIT: Pain killer / booze combo talking BUT rest assured I'd always do my best to save the Ricksters "ass" from fire if it was a war situation........... No more, no less.

Mikee.

May 26, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Trust me, you don't want a rickPink combo on your tail

at least I got top billing
wink.gif

Rick Pink sounds cool . Pink Rick now...........
blink.gif

Quote:

I was looking for some FOTM IC suppliers in the sticky, not some silly obscure geocities shops. I agree jumping to the conclusion of it being outdated was flameworthy. Rickcr42 you have my apologies on that.

all good man.

"stuff" happens and if it did not it would be my thought we should all check our pulse to see if we are still alive
very_evil_smiley.gif

bottom line is i try to keep it smallish and tidy while not leaving out anything important.A juggling act where every once in a while I drop a ball or two.....or three...........four........

wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbagump

Thanks for constructive vote Pink.

Are you still looking, if so post the question/part and let's see if the collective can't turn up what you're looking for.

Nate

May 27, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Trust me, you don't want a rickPink combo on your tail.........

Not sure about the 'trust you' part, but I absolutely don't want either one of you on my tail.
basshead.gif

I also think that the links list should be in the regular stickies rather than in rules... makes more sense to me. I thought it was there once upon a time.

What's funny to me is that the links list was overlooked, yet it is in with the "read the rules before posting here" thread. Uh-oh.

May 27, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

I also think that the links list should be in the regular stickies rather than in rules... makes more sense to me. I thought it was there once upon a time.

yes it was,and was overlooked there as well so i requested it get a separate section for "visibility".
Seems like that failed as well
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

What's funny to me is that the links list was overlooked, yet it is in with the "read the rules before posting here" thread. Uh-oh.

since both the links and the rules were combined and whatever thread has the last post is "bumped" to the top John decided to bump the rules up over the links which actually was a right call (when i add to the links it is an edit and not a post so no "bump").

So extrapolating from there it is not a stretch to say if you can not find the links section you never checked the DIY Forum rules either
wink.gif

May 27, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Are you still looking, if so post the question/part and let's see if the collective can't turn up what you're looking for.

thanks- what I was looking for was a place where I could buy various types of silver and copper wire, starquad, mini and rca connectors, shrink and techflex. Oddly enough there is only one place that I found that has all of them which is http://www.percyaudio.com/. Its possible that http://www.partsconnexion.com/ has a good selection, but you cant view a catalog online easily.

May 27, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #29 of 37
mouser and digikey both have heaps of bare wire, some cable, and a small range of connectors too, although their cable is in larger spools. markertek has a huge range of cables and connectors in smaller quantites, partsexpress has heaps as well but their cables have less esteem round here then markertek's. silver coated copper is also cheap on ebay, but buy a roll from mouser or digikey and you're sortted for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbagump
Oddly enough there is only one place that I found that has all of them which is http://www.percyaudio.com/. Its possible that http://www.partsconnexion.com/ has a good selection, but you cant view a catalog online easily.

From everything that I've read percy is a great place to do business with. Is it the rock bottom lowest price that you could pay, probalby not but that isn't always the best way to shop.

The only interconnects that I've made thus far have been using HGA wire and RCAs, both of which are extremely high quality and there service was outstanding. For flex and shrink I just use http://www.partsexpress.com/.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back