online gaming pc vs xbox
Aug 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jeezus

Head-Fier
someone i know is a total pc fanboy and says gaming on pc is superior in every way. i haven't played pc games online becuase i don't know enough about computers to build a decent gaming rig and i dont feel like buying a pre made one.

this is what i think i have gotton from looking up stuff:

1. pc has better graphics
  2. better sound
  3. pc has more players allowed in one game (bf3 for example 64v64 vs console 12v12)
  4. pc is a more immersive experience due to larger maps and more players
  5. pc has fun mods you can make to games
  6. xbox has more people that have headsets and communicate more than pc (from what i hear, unless you have a group of people you always play with)
  7. on xbox teamwork is easier due to more people talking in game and less people in one match to have to communicat to.
  8. xbox has party chat so you can talk to friends playing other games without have to use another program like teamspeak.
  9. on xbox you can see what all your online friends are playing (from what i know, on pc you can only see a friend online if they are logged into the same game as you)
  10. on xbox you can see if your friends are online and what they are playing from your phone or from xbox.com
  11. on xbox you can see the last 100 people you have played with no matter what game you met them on.
  12. xbox you dont have to update hardware or worry about viruses and stuff which is a big deal if you don't know much about computers
  13. more of your friends more likely play xbox online than pc.

so what i get from this is that if you want to have the best graphics, sound, fun mods, more players in one match, and a more immersive then pc is for you. if you want to play with friends and easily connect with with people and overall just have a much better social experience, dont want to bother updating hardware or learning about it, want easlily turn on the console pop in a game without installing it and messing with other software and updates, worry about viruses and losing your whole gaming rig, and have more teamwork in a game then xbox is for you.

so it all depends on what your needs are.

what do you think? what did i miss?

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 26
all the positives you mentioned for Xbox are due to XBL. PC gaming simply doesnt have a unified system like that, and its the same reason XBL is regarded so highly. You also have to pay for it.

in my experience, the PC communities for games are more hardcore, probably because the cost of entry is higher.

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 26

Quote:
all the positives you mentioned for Xbox are due to XBL. PC gaming simply doesnt have a unified system like that, and its the same reason XBL is regarded so highly. You also have to pay for it.

in my experience, the PC communities for games are more hardcore, probably because the cost of entry is higher.

^ Agreed
Unless you got $1300 or more to build a gaming rig in today's market
You really cant experience the latest games like BF3 (the alpha was Reallly great)

A total PC fanboy here too

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 26
The correct answer is PS3. :p

If your really hardcore tho, PC all the way.

Personally, I can't be bothered. Video games aren't any good anymore IMO. :frowning2:

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
^ Agreed
Unless you got $1300 or more to build a gaming rig in today's market
You really cant experience the latest games like BF3 (the alpha was Reallly great)

A total PC fanboy here too

i understand that the pc does have better hardware,graphics,sound,immersion. but it's not fun unless i'm playing with my friends and none of them have a gaming pc. the only way i would get into pc is if i understood how to build/maintain a powerful rig like that and if i had some other people that would play with me and be all about the objective instead of kills.

how hard is it to learn about building/maintaining/hardware/software on a pc? how hard is it to find people online that will play with you? is all the money worth it if none of my real life friends play? is it THAT much better than consoles because the core mechanics are all the same?

haha sorry about all the questions i'm just confused.
redface.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
The correct answer is PS3. :p

If your really hardcore tho, PC all the way.

Personally, I can't be bothered. Video games aren't any good anymore IMO. :frowning2:

ps3 online service is nothing compared to xbox. i don't care about paying for it yearly. i got a ps3 and i regret it, i pretty much got it in order to mlay  mgs because it's AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

but like i said almost everyone i know has xbox and almost nobody i know plays ps3 online.

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:
ps3 online service is nothing compared to xbox. i don't care about paying for it yearly. i got a ps3 and i regret it, i pretty much got it in order to mlay  mgs because it's AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

but like i said almost everyone i know has xbox and almost nobody i know plays ps3 online.

I have read this many times, but never with a good explanation. "everyone else has it" isn't one. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #9 of 26
i understand that the pc does have better hardware,graphics,sound,immersion. but it's not fun unless i'm playing with my friends and none of them have a gaming pc. the only way i would get into pc is if i understood how to build/maintain a powerful rig like that and if i had some other people that would play with me and be all about the objective instead of kills.
how hard is it to learn about building/maintaining/hardware/software on a pc? how hard is it to find people online that will play with you? is all the money worth it if none of my real life friends play? is it THAT much better than consoles because the core mechanics are all the same?
haha sorry about all the questions i'm just confused.
redface.gif

Building a pc isn't difficult. Everything in it will only fit where it's intended to go. Kind of like the kiddy blocks that are in shapes. You can't fit the triangle in the square hole no matter how many times you try. Plus there are guides for EVERYTHING on the internet. Google is your friend.

Maintaining isn't hard. I use dust the inside of my rig maybe once a month and I can remove the filters and clean them easily. (Depends on what case you go with)

As far as knowing when your friends are on, me and my friends use Steam for everything except a few games. (Very few)

It doesn't matter if you play console or pc, there are ALWAYS going to be ppl that care more about kills than objectives.

Is it worth it for JUST gaming? Up to you. If you're a hardcore gamer then YES. If you only play casually then I'd say no.
There are many other things you can do on a pc besides gaming though. I use mine for music/photo storage. I do a fair amount of coding and photo editing and I'm starting to get into audio more as well. I have a pretty beast set up so I can multi task like a mofo.

The reason I like pc gaming more is because I have more control of my character.
In an fps for example I can do a 360 in under a second. Turning slowly with a joystick is not for me. I also have on the fly sensitivity control so if I'm sniping for instance I can change my sensitivity to be able to aim better while scoped and change it back the instant I un-scope.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 26
There isn't really a clear-cut answer; there are some games that are on PC but not console, and vice versa. 

Satellite_6: check out Trenched, by Double Fine Studios. Been playing it for the last few weeks with 2 of my buddies, and it's basically...well they bill it as "tower offense". Pretty funny writing, naturally, but the premise is you're in alternate reality WW2 with mechs, and it's great to coordinate teamwork both pre- and during games to build turrets, flank and direct fire to enemies, etc. I believe this title is on Xbox and PC, but not PS3.

FPS's surely tend to be more enjoyable on PC, and it's not just aiming. Headsets--or getting headphones paired up with a standalone mic--are more widely available and easier to setup on a PC. If you don't fully appreciate this statement, it's because you haven't had to game on Xbox Live with headphones.

On the other hand, I don't know of a strong fighting scene on PC. And I'm psyched for SF3:3S getting released tomorrow! But there you have it, that's one example of something that you can't get on a PC.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 26
Personally I have to say the PC is a better experience then console gaming.

-Free online multiplayer gaming. [Few exceptions].
-A better community for everyone. [XBL is full 12year old, sexist, racist, bigotist, scum. (and halo fanboys)].  <---personally I've never enjoyed playing online with these people on XBL.  This is the main reason why I let my gold membership lapse.  I feel more comfortable on Steam and just use that instead as I don't have any console only games with online multiplayer.
-The majority of game servers that are ran by independent fans rather than the game makers or console makers.  This creates great sub-communities that you'll enjoy and feel welcome in.
-Games update when they update, not when Microsoft allows them.  [See Team Fortress 2 (PC vs Consoles)].
-The ability to get free DLC.  [Microsoft hates giving stuff away for free on XBL.  See Left 4 Dead DLC]
-Better controls [Haters are going to hate but the 360 controller is horrible. (I rather have PlayStation controller or Mouse & Keyboard)].
-The ability to upgrade your computer over time to improve the graphical look of your games (if the settings aren't already maxed out) [Console games will always look the same as you cannot upgrade consoles].
-The ability to do other stuff at the same time.  (Windowed Games)  [You can do PC stuff while gaming unlike a console]
-You can play good indie games without having them submitted to a service to be approved like on consoles.
-You can play games from outside your region by buying a physical copy, without worrying about region coding.
-Not all games come to console.  It's more rare to have a console only game then a PC only game.
-Steam vs Console: I can download a game I own from where ever I am without needed a disc.  I more often have a computer on me than a 360 or PS 3.
-More configurable than any console.

For a good PC gaming experience use Steam.  Community, friends, digitally distributed games, always auto-updated; the best of the XBL and PSN experience with less downsides.

"more of your friends more likely play xbox online than pc." -jeezus
Depends.  With in my group of friends PC gaming is more common.  Consoles do one of two things, serve as a good space heater or collect dust.

As for building a computer that isn't a hard task.  It's like building an Ikea bookshelf; it's not hard to put together just follow the instructions (read a how-to) and use common sense.  As for up keep, it's just like every other computer.  Keep Windows Updated, etc...... the normal stuff you would do with any computer.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 26
May also add PC gamers are generally older and more mature then the console kids for the PC platform. Looking at demographics it´s the younger generation dominating consoles.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 26
TheKisho:

For controls, what about genres outside of FPS and RTS? For example, Assassin's Creed controls like a 3PS (Third Person Stabber, haha) and it has online multiplayer. For that matter, Assassin's Creed also took a long time to come to PC, which means that console gaming would make more sense in instances like that. 

I'm also curious as to why multitasking on your gaming rig--while gaming--is a benefit. Wouldn't that slow the system down, potentially? And what kind of game could you play that would afford you the loss of concentration by multitasking? I might back up my laptop while playing Xbox, but that doesn't make the Xbox any less of a system to play on...

And lastly, the graphics upgrade is a double-edged sword. Everyone ought to acknowledge that. Console games will run without users needing to spend on, research and install upgrades; at the same time they're also stuck with whatever level of quality they get (save few instances where games are patched to resolve load times and other bugs). On the flip side PC gamers have a chance to improve their experience by upgrading--but upgrading always costs a person time and money. I don't know how often a PC needs upgrading and how much it costs, but maybe this is where PC gamers can chime in?

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 26
Far as I see it, consoles provide a superior option for most gamers.

* Pricing - Consoles are pretty inexpensive these days. Not so much for gaming PCs.
* AAA Gaming - Consoles dominate AAA. PCs ports are often late, poor, or nonexistant.
* Japan - Less of a factor now, but Japanese gaming remains resolutely focused on consoles.
* Consistency - Console games always work on your setup. Not so much with PC games.
* DRM - Console DRM is mostly transparent to the user. PC DRM can be extremely invasive.
* Experience - Comfy couch + big screen + surround sound > Chair + monitor + headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back