Onkyo's FIRST Step into Portable Audio Bandwagon! Impressions/Comments/Thoughts Welcome!
Oct 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #31 of 57

i find the hi fiman re400 bilanges have the a wide bore... but oddly imo i think wide bore tips give the most even balenced sounds. 

off topic sorta but on my re400s i tried the stock and the sony hybrids (much narrower opening)

the sony hybrid tips are warmer sound, more emphasis on the midbass and lower, to mid treble 

while wide bore opens up the mids

i tried this with both my re400s and my monster turbines.. same result ( it made my turbines less bassy) 

Truthfully I didn't experiment much with the RE-400 tips.  The tiny biflanges provided me a complete seal and great comfort.  Also, the IEM is destined for the ears of my girlfriend next week.

The Onkyos work very well with UE silicone tips.  They're wide bore, soft and comfortable.  They bring back the clairity I was losing when I tried a rounder, but smaller bore tip.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #32 of 57
Okay! Got my ES-HF300's today.

The build is very nice, let me say that first. Very solid indeed. The metal feels nice and cold, solid. And the plastic is very sturdy, too. Good quality pleather, feels soft and not overly thin or thick. The padding feels good to me, too. I heard people complain that it's not soft enough, so I was worried about it being stiff, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

To my relief, they're actually quite comfortable so far! A damn sight better than the V-Moda M80, that's for sure. They also look pretty darn sexy, especially with the cable. Though one small disappointment with that for me is that the chrome parts are plastic, not metal as I thought they were. A bit of a bummer, but not a large complaint. As you can see, the jack is a little large. I can see it being a problem with some cases, for sure. But, I don't care since I don't use them.

As for sound, I'm impressed! They're very much like the M80 but a good step up or two in quality. They're cleaner and tighter all round to my ears, with less grain. That's great considering they go for around the same price as the M80. So really, I'd say that the V-Moda has the edge (not a large one, mind you) in terms of looks, build quality and accessories / features, areas which the Onkyo are still perfectly good in (especially the first two where they're nipping at the heels of the V-Moda) However the Onkyo is definitely superior in terms of isolation, sound quality and comfort for me. Overall, I think these are the better headphones!

I'll give them a full review eventually, but my first impressions are that they're very nice on ear headphones! I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if you're unsure.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #33 of 57
  Okay! Got my ES-HF300's today.

The build is very nice, let me say that first. Very solid indeed. The metal feels nice and cold, solid. And the plastic is very sturdy, too. Good quality pleather, feels soft and not overly thin or thick. The padding feels good to me, too. I heard people complain that it's not soft enough, so I was worried about it being stiff, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

To my relief, they're actually quite comfortable so far! A damn sight better than the V-Moda M80, that's for sure. They also look pretty darn sexy, especially with the cable. Though one small disappointment with that for me is that the chrome parts are plastic, not metal as I thought they were. A bit of a bummer, but not a large complaint. As you can see, the jack is a little large. I can see it being a problem with some cases, for sure. But, I don't care since I don't use them.

As for sound, I'm impressed! They're very much like the M80 but a good step up or two in quality. They're cleaner and tighter all round to my ears, with less grain. That's great considering they go for around the same price as the M80. So really, I'd say that the V-Moda has the edge (not a large one, mind you) in terms of looks, build quality and accessories / features, areas which the Onkyo are still perfectly good in (especially the first two where they're nipping at the heels of the V-Moda) However the Onkyo is definitely superior in terms of isolation, sound quality and comfort for me. Overall, I think these are the better headphones!

I'll give them a full review eventually, but my first impressions are that they're very nice on ear headphones! I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if you're unsure.

WOW thank you for the pictures and your first impressions!!

the black looks amazing!!! holy its like onyx! i'm usually a sucker for the white! but unfortunately even the headband on the white is one is white (its gonna stain, or get yellow from being around my neck after a while, nasty but it'll happen) and the earpads might yellow too 

the black is more practical, and this time i like the black more (wish it came with a black cable though) that cable looks dark red or burgundy. But if i buy the hf i think its called it comes with that sweet looking cable! 

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #34 of 57
  Truthfully I didn't experiment much with the RE-400 tips.  The tiny biflanges provided me a complete seal and great comfort.  Also, the IEM is destined for the ears of my girlfriend next week.

The Onkyos work very well with UE silicone tips.  They're wide bore, soft and comfortable.  They bring back the clairity I was losing when I tried a rounder, but smaller bore tip.

WOW thank you for the pictures and your first impressions!!

the black looks amazing!!! holy its like onyx! i'm usually a sucker for the white! but unfortunately even the headband on the white is one is white (its gonna stain, or get yellow from being around my neck after a while, nasty but it'll happen) and the earpads might yellow too 

the black is more practical, and this time i like the black more (wish it came with a black cable though) that cable looks dark red or burgundy. But if i buy the hf i think its called it comes with that sweet looking cable! 

if you don't mind do you think u can take some pictures of you with them on and with the m80s? how big do they look on the head ( i saw tylls review, saying their big for on ears) Wonder if anyone tried putting on different pads to make them essentially over ears)-- > like i think ppl tried it with the jvc ha500 (with some pads, their small over ears but they fit somehow to make them completely over ears)

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #35 of 57
You're welcome. I don't have the M80 anymore, I sold it due to the comfort. Really, the way they look on Tyl's head is basically how they look on mine. They don't look particularly large, and they stay fairly profile with your head, don't stick out very much. The look less bulbous than beats or the V-Moda.

They're well and truly on ears, though. You'd need miniscule ears to fit them in the pads. Here's a measurement:

Definitely too small for over ear. However, by on ear standards the gap in the middle is quite large which is what makes them comfortable for me. That's where the most stiff, easily agitated part of the my ear cartilage sits, whilst my more pliable ear lobe and the top of the cartilage can take the pressure of the pads relatively comfortably.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 57
  You're welcome. I don't have the M80 anymore, I sold it due to the comfort. Really, the way they look on Tyl's head is basically how they look on mine. They don't look particularly large, and they stay fairly profile with your head, don't stick out very much. The look less bulbous than beats or the V-Moda.

They're well and truly on ears, though. You'd need miniscule ears to fit them in the pads. Here's a measurement:

Definitely too small for over ear. However, by on ear standards the gap in the middle is quite large which is what makes them comfortable for me. That's where the most stiff, easily agitated part of the my ear cartilage sits, whilst my more pliable ear lobe and the top of the cartilage can take the pressure of the pads relatively comfortably.

i'm sorry i mean if someone changes out the pads to something larger (they can be over ears) just speculations.

has anyone tried other pads on them???

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 57
I got what you meant, I just mean even at the extremities of the cups, there's not that much room. The pads would have to hang over the edge of the cup to allow for circumaural levels of space (or be unrealistically thin / wide). I don't really think it's possible, these are going to be on ears no matter what. They're not as big as they look in pictures.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #40 of 57
OK, I get what you mean. I wouldn't do it on the basis of looks alone, but hey, that's how the headfi community gets down 
biggrin.gif
 Some crazy mods out there.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #41 of 57
  OK, I get what you mean. I wouldn't do it on the basis of looks alone, but hey, that's how the headfi community gets down 
biggrin.gif
 Some crazy mods out there.

well to each their own some people like these

it would look probably similar at least the ear cushions concerned. i'm just interested to see how they would sound ( sound will change, i was wondering if its for the better??) , and if comfort improves (i would think so making them over ear would take the pressure off the ear)

it would not be an extensive and easily reversible mod i would think

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #42 of 57
Well the old sony XB headphones didn't look so bad since it was designed that way, the pads are all neat and flush. But if the looks don't bother you then go right ahead. I have no idea what would happen to the sound, but I'd not be surprised if it affected it negatively. That would be a shame, too. These are really awesome sounding portables for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back