Onkyo TX8222 good?
Oct 22, 2009 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I am about to make a speaker purchase, but before I do that I need some sort of amplification. I found an Onkyo TX-8222 used that I could probably get for <$100 shipped. Paired with Cambridge Audio S30s for $200 shipped, 12AWG speaker cable and 22AWG RCA cable from monoprice for $22 shipped, I think I would be in great shape for a budget dorm room setup.

What do you guys think about the receiver? 50W RMS 8ohms seems like way more than enough power, and the speakers can either be wired in 4ohm or 8ohm (which would give more power?). The receiver also seems to have the basic features I need, and got good reviews in terms of amplification quality.

Oct 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 3
They should be fine. I think the stereo receivers from onkyo actually puts out more power per channel than their other models except for maybe the higher end ones. I would suggest getting one of the newer ones though so you would have more upgrade headroom. However, if you don't feel like you'll have upgraditus, i'm sure the 8222 should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back