Onkyo SR-503 receiver...what to do with Marantz MA500 powerblock THX amps?? any way to incorporate them??
Aug 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jazzdude1

New Head-Fier
hi! I have a little home theatre with 100" screen and decent speakers and sub connected to my Onkyo SR-503 receiver...i was given some Marantz MA500's for free..
is there anyway to connect them to this receiver??

..if not, is there any receiver that is decent around the $500 and under level which would allow me to do it??
do people generally use these kind of external amps to boost the front mains or centers?? or surrounds??

just trying to figure out what I can do with these babies...I read that a lot of people do say they are pretty good!

Thanks in advance!!

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 4
kind of what i figured...I read about some people using the TAPE OUT/MONITOR on the receiver as a pre-out?!?!?!
is that possible or not??

...any brand recommendations for the under $500 receiver with pre-out??

do people use those MA500 sort of amps to boost center channel or surrounds mostly??

Thanx!

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 4
The "tape out" or similar would normally be a "loop out" type thing and would be a fixed level, not controlled by the receivers volume knob.

Using an external amp like this can provide much more power than the on-board amp in the receiver. Most all low-end receivers will deliver 65~85 watts, all channels driven and maybe a bit more in 2 channel operation. This is just a rough guess for a $500 receiver.

It's best to buy a separate processor and separate amp/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back