onkyo/pioneer xdp 100/300r & tidal Masters (MQA)
Jan 8, 2017 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Steve Buck

Head-Fier
question for you guys.

yes i know that tidal only currently supports the masters decoding (and the masters tab) on the desktop version.

However ,i have added the masters version of..lets say... floyds the division bell to my favourites ( from the mac desktop menu)
then accesed that favouites link via thetidal app on the  pioneer 
Thinking carefully about this, i can only possibly be playing a non decoded mqa file, as that app doesnt decode yet, nor does it have the ability to let the pioneers dac do the decoding..
but im getting the benefits of a flac file thats being sent on 24 bit 96khz ??

am i making sense ?? or are these the ramblings of a loony ?

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 32
Not not the ramblings of a loony at all, this is a good question, I was going to ask the same thing. :)

Players that natively support MQA *May* be fully decoding the file it depends on where the decoding is done in the audio path. Tidal is not doing this decoding in its software we know that.

It is possible, although highly unlikely that Tidal is routing an un-decoded MQA stream to the H/W and this is in turn somehow detecting its MQA and performing a decode.

Iv'e tested this theory by listening to MQA and non-MQA streams but have not been able detect a difference so in my opinion no decoding is taking place.

Jan 12, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 32

My guess is that the pioneer Tidal app - as on my iPhone - only streams a normal hifi flac version of the same song. Until once in the future the mobile Tidal app can stream the MQA version directly to the mobile DAC, like I does now on the desktop app. Hopefully soon... 
beyersmile.png

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 32
Here is something about MQA decoding. I would like to know how pioneer handle MQA, software or hardware?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained#I4A3lC86KlxcoECq.97

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 32
I am almost 100% sure the Tidal app is playing the MQA version of the album in your DAP, just not decoding it in the app.  When I play an MQA album on my iPhone it will not substitute the music for a HIFI version, just play the MQA in its 24/48kHz CD-like format.  The question is whether the playback out of the app is a "passthrough" mode that preserves the MQA encoding so it can be decoded outside of the Tidal app and whether your DAP is doing so.   

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #15 of 32
Masters and mqa is still not available on anything other than desktop Tidal app. Just tried with updated app on my pioneer and no luck. Just Hifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back