Onkyo ES-FC300?
Jan 30, 2015 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

theurbanhippie

New Head-Fier
Hey all, was just wondering what (if anything) you guys think about these. Are they bassy? Shrill? Bright?

Thanks for the input, all!

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BN6WR3S/ref=pd_aw_sbs_6?pi=SY115&simLd=1#)

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Hey all, was just wondering what (if anything) you guys think about these. Are they bassy? Shrill? Bright?

Thanks for the input, all!

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BN6WR3S/ref=pd_aw_sbs_6?pi=SY115&simLd=1#)

Great bass, not muddy but goes down low. Not shrill but V shaped sound signature, slightly recessed mids. Amazing set of cans that are flying under the radar a lot. I won't sell them, very well built and I love the replaceable cable, since i have plenty of MMCX cables.

Cheers,
K

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Cool, thanks for the input.

I'm considering another set, the KRK KNS 8400, and I'm wondering what the differences are.

Obviously the KRK's would be less colourful, but beyond that, I know very little.

There's always the ATH m50's too.

Decisions, decisions!

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, the ATH-M50 are over ear while the Onkyo are sort of in betweenon and over ear. Comfort is really good with both.

I have the ATH-M50X as well and I find the Onkyo a bit more engaging. However if you want to have one headphone that does it all, the ATH-M50 might have longer lifetime, the cable is detachable as well, ear pads are replaceable (Onkyo does not sell replacement ear pads for their headphone, can you believe it?) so the M50s are easier to service, repair etc. 

You can't go wrong with both headphones. Sonically I prefer the Onkyo slightly (but by a very small margin).

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 8
Alright
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I'm wondering what the difference between the FC-300's and the Onkyo ES-CTI300(BS) are.

the headphone is in all three cases exactly the same.

ES-HF300 - normal cable
ES-HF300 - upgraded cable (6N Oxygen-free copper cable)
ES-CTI300 - inline microphone for iOS devices (and upgraded cable)

HCMX-HF120S - upgrade cable if you "only" have the standard ES-HF300. List price $59 currently $49 on amazon.

However since the connection is MMCX you can use ANY MMCX cable for the headphone. No need to buy from Onkyo. 

Cheers,
K

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 8
This is my update, in the event that someone wonders what happened.

I ended up buying the Onkyo, because I found them for $70 on amazon, with the iOS fancy cable.

I've found that after listening to both sets and owning the onkyo for a year, I'm not especially fond of either.

The onkyo are pretty efficient, but both pairs have basically no soundstage, and spotty imaging. The sound itself is okay, but peaks around 5 or 6k, meaning that with a flat eq, you still get hissing on "s" sounds.

The bass is tight, but doesn't hit hard and sometimes you want more. They're acceptable, but not mind blowing. They don't really do anything interesting, and the hissing is offensive. I would have been upset if I'd paid full price.

Kind of the same story with the m50. It's like the sound is rammed into a tiny cup and shoved in your ear all at once, and it's not an effect I really appreciate.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 8
I just bought them used from a fellow Head-Fi'er -- cable was missing so I used an MMCX cable from some really cheap IEMs I got on Amazon for $13.  I think the sound is superb, very clean -- I think the bass sometimes seems a little more than I like, but after I've listened to them continuously for a few songs, my brain adjusts to the signature.   Comfort is also superb.   I've already ordered a better MMCX cable from Amazon since the cheap one I had that came with my super-cheap IEM's is flimsy and the right one disconnects randomly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back