Onkyo ES-FC300 comfort issues
Oct 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zenthelld

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to the forum, though I've used it as a resource quite a bit.

TL;DR up front: Does anyone know of more comfortable earpads I could replace the stock Onkyo pads with (40mm)? Preferably ones that would turn them into circumaural as opposed to supra-aural.

Uncut version: Basically I recently bought the Onkyo FCs after being extremely impressed by the sound for the price. However, within the last two weeks I've found them to be quite uncomfortable to wear. They're halfway between on-ear and over-ear, so I either have them pressing against the backs of my ears causing physical pain, or I have the drivers practically touching my ears causing sonic pain.

I went to return them, but then at the last second decided to keep them as I love their sound and was concerned about finding something as good. I'm hoping the earpads might soften up after some use, but if I could replace the stock pads for ones that would fit around my ear, or maybe be memory foam or something, that would be perfect. So my question is: Does such a thing exist?

Also, if anyone wants some extra firsthand impressions of the Onkyos - as there isn't a great deal on the web - feel free to ask :) Though I don't have a great deal of experience of other headphones for comparisons.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Follow-up question (and subtle bump): Would the Onkyos benefit from a portable amp? Or is it true of all 32 ohm headphones that not much difference would be heard?

I've owned the ES-FC300 for about a month now, and really enjoy them... except for the comfort issue! I *really* wish that Onkyo had used memory foam pads on these; they would be so much more comfortable. So, like you I'm also on a quest to find replacement pads.

The Onkyos indeed scale well with better amping. I use a DX100 as a source/amp most of the time and it's a real step up from directly plugging them into an iPod or a smartphone's music player. When I add my Schiit Vali amp to the chain their is further improvement.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Hey man : ) I actually don't use the Onkyos anymore, they're now in the hands of my other half. Instead I have the PSB M4U 1s, which in my opinion are not only more comfortable than the Onkyos, but better sounding as well. Their bass isn't quite as rich as the Onkyos, but that's to be expected from circumaural vs supra-aural. On every other front, though, the PSBs beat the Onkyos, and for only around £50 more they're very much worth it in my opinion.

If I ever happen to find out about replacement pads for the Onkyos, though, I'll come back and post in this thread.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Hey man : ) I actually don't use the Onkyos anymore, they're now in the hands of my other half. Instead I have the PSB M4U 1s, which in my opinion are not only more comfortable than the Onkyos, but better sounding as well. Their bass isn't quite as rich as the Onkyos, but that's to be expected from circumaural vs supra-aural. On every other front, though, the PSBs beat the Onkyos, and for only around £50 more they're very much worth it in my opinion.

If I ever happen to find out about replacement pads for the Onkyos, though, I'll come back and post in this thread.

Those PSB M4U 1s headphones sound interesting...I'll have to investigate further; I just did a quick look at them on Amazon. I'd actually never heard of that brand before now.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Those PSB M4U 1s headphones sound interesting...I'll have to investigate further; I just did a quick look at them on Amazon. I'd actually never heard of that brand before now.

I hadn't either, because they're known for speakers as opposed to headphones (similar to Onkyo being known for amps and the ES-FC300s being their first headphones).

The Onkyos are good, but the PSBs are in a whole other league. They're both neutral headphones, but the PSBs are clearer and have better separation. I haven't compared the two side by side extensively, but I can do if you want to know how they compare on any other front : )

Are you looking to buy a new pair of headphones? Because I'd recommend looking into the SoundMAGIC HP100s as well if you are.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #7 of 11
TL;DR up front: Does anyone know of more comfortable earpads I could replace the stock Onkyo pads with (40mm)? Preferably ones that would turn them into circumaural as opposed to supra-aural.

I'm thinking about buying them and was wondering that too. what is the diameter of the thing where the pads are mounted? I'd like to know if i can use the ones of my philips shl5500 which are also supra aural but very comfortable memory foam.
I was also considering the sony mdr-1r, do you think it would be a better alternative?

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm thinking about buying them and was wondering that too. what is the diameter of the thing where the pads are mounted? I'd like to know if i can use the ones of my philips shl5500 which are also supra aural but very comfortable memory foam.
I was also considering the sony mdr-1r, do you think it would be a better alternative?

I gave mine to my fiancée because they fit around her ears. If you're thinking of getting the MDRs I'd suggest looking at the PSB M4U 1s (that's what I have now). They have a similar (but better) sound to the Onkyos but are much more comfortable. You could also try out the SoundMAGIC HP100s. To be honest I'd stay away from the Onkyos anyway. They're not bad sounding, but so uncomfortable and I feel you can get much more for just a little more money.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 11
I gave mine to my fiancée because they fit around her ears. If you're thinking of getting the MDRs I'd suggest looking at the PSB M4U 1s (that's what I have now). They have a similar (but better) sound to the Onkyos but are much more comfortable. You could also try out the SoundMAGIC HP100s. To be honest I'd stay away from the Onkyos anyway. They're not bad sounding, but so uncomfortable and I feel you can get much more for just a little more money.

Well I live in Switzerland, so my options are somehow limited. The PSB M4U 1s are out of my price range and the SoundMAGIC aren't even available. What is the diameter of the pad, just to campare with what I have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back