Onkyo E900M
Feb 1, 2016 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

azel831

100+ Head-Fier
This is a hybrid earphone of flagship status to Onkyo at $500. I haven't found a thread but this iem seems really interesing. 2ba + 6mm DD. it is due in March from the looks of it. if anybody has read impressions do share them here. cheers

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 19
Everyone's doing the 2BA + 1DD hybrid dance nowadays, and usually for under $350. Onkyo is going to have some serious competition to cut through if they hope to be worth anything close to $500. I'm also worried about a 6mm driver getting down below 50Hz like a 10/12mm driver easily can, but we'll have to wait and see.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 19
Being a Sony competitor, I am sure they "propose" this as a Z5 alternative but it has a lot to prove. U.S. price will be $449.99 still there is the A2, A3, Primacy, FLC8, Fidue, etc. for cheaper. Though like Sony, Onkyo prices drop. Their older $119 in-ear can now be found for $60, so they should fall to where they belong or become a nice deal after a while.

I also am concerned about the micro-driver choice in a hybrid as it may just be further away. Moving a good amount of air and getting quality bass feel/sense of impact from a micro-driver is tricky and better the closer the driver is to the eardrum.

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 19
Everyone's doing the 2BA + 1DD hybrid dance nowadays, and usually for under $350. Onkyo is going to have some serious competition to cut through if they hope to be worth anything close to $500. I'm also worried about a 6mm driver getting down below 50Hz like a 10/12mm driver easily can, but we'll have to wait and see.

but but isn't Ie800 like XWB and 6-7mm? and also why is it, distortion?

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 19
the iem looks interesting.
http://www.onkyo-headphones.com/en/headphones/in-ear/e900m.html

it looks good.
i wonder if it also sounds as good as its looks.. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 19
  the iem looks interesting.
http://www.onkyo-headphones.com/en/headphones/in-ear/e900m.html

it looks good.
i wonder if it also sounds as good as its looks.. 

Man, I don't like the looks of that at all.  Way too bling-y.  Gold does not belong on an IEM.  I bought their earlier IEM and despite some good reviews, I absolutely thought it was the most disappointing IEM I have bought in years, even at the discounted price point.  I generally like Onkyo as a brand though, and this is a completely different design.  That Hi-Res audio certification seems to actually mean something other than marketing, as every IEM I've tried that has it has sounded very good.  This does seem over-priced but as mentioned will likely be discounted.

May 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 19
I think no one is prepared to pull the trigger and be the 1st to buy one.
Edit: @MrKennethTong has just stated over on the Onkyo DP-X1 thread that he has

I might have been interested but not at this price or not at least until I either get to demo them or find a seller that will allow RMA

blink.gif

May 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 19

Decent!

Thank you,

if you can a picture of the top to show which headphone socket is used please

wink_face.gif

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 19
I really like the E700M (13.5mm single dynamic), quite balanced, only a little hint of V shaped EQ, nice and airy - so, if Onkyo have added more to the mix for the E900, it could well be a bargain

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 19
I have the E700M and it's great. Best IEM I bought for a while. Can anyone share some impressions of the E900M? Was wondering how it would compare against the E700M.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 19
Hi everyone! I have tested the E900M with both an iPhone 5s (mp3 and AAC files), Hifiman HM-901 and Hifiman HM-902 (FLAC and WAV 24/96 24/192 files) last week.
First, the form factor. While this IEM looks pretty good on pictures, it doesn't in the metal. They feel undoubtedly cheap and suffer from a rather cheap build quality. It's a 100% plastic shell, with joints where there shouldn't be any. It's made in China, and it feels like it is. Still, they are very light and comfortable to wear, especially with these soft and silent detachable cables. They are pretty bulky to me, though, but manage to "sit" pretty easily in my ears. I can also tell that it can be easily damaged even when being worn and manipulated very carefully. It would look used after 3 to 6 months of use, even if you only use it at home.
Second, passive ambient sound isolation is quite good, but this is no absolute winner.
Third, sound quality. I have been able to compare the sound signature and quality with the ones delivered by the SONY XBA-N3 AP, Cardas Audio A8 and Sennheiser IE 80. First of all, the latter doesn't come as a serious competitor to my ears, probably because of a very different sound signature. The price tag and some praising reviews just brought them to the test, but the comparison just ends up here for me.
Listening to various music styles, I am personally looking for in-ear headphones that can provide advanced sound quality, with great detail and good soundstage, but also generous yet neat lows and bass. The E900M clearly is a "V"-shaped product, but it's pretty difficult to locate the bottom point of the "V". No "U". It has deep bass that is not overwhelming, it sounds incredibly quick and responsive in the lows too, while managing a rather good balance with low mediums. High mediums are more discreet, a bit backward, and the loud highs artificially help to enhance precision. But obviously - and this is probably the main issue with the E900M - the "sss", "x", "t" sounds can easily become aggressive to many ears (not only mines) when listening to vocals.
In comparison, the SONY XBA-N3 AP offer a more "rounded" and warmer sound signature overall, with no brightness issue of the highs, but a disturbing dominance of the bass. Overall, they sound less precise and too slow for high-pace music styles. It's like the high frequencies are constantly dragging the low ones behind. It makes the listening experience quickly exhausting for my ears.
Cardas Audio A8's metal shells are too heavy for me and penetrate more deeply in the ears, making them an uncomfortable yet decent SONY competitor. Plus the fact that the A8 cable is a hit!
So... while it is far from being perfect, the E900M manages to grab my preference here, but I look forward to trying it with foams to see if these can cut the high peeks a bit in order to make vocals sound smoother and the overall listening experience more involving.
To conclude this short review, I'd say the E900M definitely deserves its premium place within the current ONKYO range, and definitely does NOT worth the current asked price. It's not as versatile as I would have expected it to be (since I like listening to many very different music styles), but this doesn't prevent it to be the most convincing IEM I have been able to find within that price range so far. Now, does it deserve my money? I still need time to decide. I would have loved to try the E700M on the same occasion for direct comparison, but it's like ONKYO don't want me to. Is it because it would reveal how overpriced the E900M is... or how much of a bargain the E700M is?
I would also love to hear your views and recommendations for other comparable IEMs you think I should try. Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back