Onkyo DV-SP1000
Jul 14, 2004 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DrewWinters

100+ Head-Fier
Has anybody heard this source? I was nearly set on the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi until I saw this. The DV-SP800 seems to be a great choice as well since it is SO much cheaper - but it doesn't have the HDMI output that I wanted.

Anybody have opinions on this source?

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 8
Looks fantastic by its' specifications but has anyone actually bought one and posted their impressions?

DrewWinters:

Not many people here believe in hi-rez formats nor universal DVD players. You should ask your questions at a dedicated home theater discussion forum.

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 8
I didn't see anything on that thread about HDMI and DVI (DVI-D? Is there a difference?) - the thread was about HDMI and Component, and no one had any information about the Onkyo there - just speculation that it might be able to do it. Did I miss something? The Onkyo's HDMI connection is DVI compatible, however.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine either of those things being a problem for me. By the time I can afford to buy an HD TV with a HDMI connection - it will probably be standard. Even if it isn't, I can pick a TV with a HDMI connection.

Features-wise - both Onkyo's are close to the Pioneer DV59-AVi. But IMHO, they look WAY better. All other things being equal - I greatly prefer the Onkyo. But I can't justify spending way more (for the SP1000) or sacrificing features (SP800) just for looks. I am hoping to discover enough solid reason to get the Onkyo over the Pioneer - but at $700 more right now it's gonna be tough.

I found ONE guy on a forum somewhere that said the Onkyo DV-SP1000 sounded a little better and had WAY better video quality (which he was surprised about) than the Pioneer 696-Avi... or some number like that. Is the 59-AVi sold under a similar name elsewhere in the world? The specs I found seemed to match the 59 and the picture looked like a gold-colored 59.

Perhaps I'll ask around in other places though, thanks.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 8
The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi is the model number for the North American version. The European version is the Pioneer Elite DV-969AVi. You have to ask yourself whether it is worth the $2000 USD MSRP or $1750 USD street price for the Onkyo DV-SP1000 based on scant customer and professional reviews. Technology wise, it is just a hair bit more advanced than the DV-59AVi but you have very little knowledge about this unit available anywhere. Also you don't have the luxury of deep discounts for the DV-SP1000 like you do now with the Elite DV-59AVi. When I got mine, the MSRP is $1600 USD but I paid $998.75 USD. I saved over $600 USD at a time when it was really hot and brand new! That is because I researched the unit and found that a lot of Pioneer models get heavy discounts because their markup is so high to account for profits made by authorized Pioneer resellers.

I'm not saying that the Onkyo DV-SP1000 is bad but I am telling you that it is kind of hard to justify that $2000 USD MSRP when you know the Denon DVD 5910 is coming just around the corner.

By the way, what is your budget for a universal DVD player?

Jul 14, 2004 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, my budget is ~ $1000. So the Onkyo would be dramatically above it, currently. But, I may be looking at a longer wait on the amp - so I could spend a little more time saving up - since the source without an amp will do me little good.

I was thinking that by the time I was ready to buy the source, it may have come down in price. As things stand, I am not willing to spend 700 extra bucks for the better looking and *maybe* slightly higher performance source. But if I found reason to believe the singular comparison I found online then it may be worth it if the price could come down somewhat.

You may think I'm shallow for this - but the Onkyo has all the little stylistic things I like: Minimalist, round buttons, blue lights, and it doesn't have a yellowish LCD like the Pioneer. It just looks better. I guess I'm just trying to substantiate my stylistic preference.

Out of curiousity - I have read that some Onkyo players were based on Pioneer OEM units. The feature set of the SP1000 and the DV59-AVi is extremely similar. Hmmm... could they be based on the same design?

EDIT: A Review of the SP800 stated that it was based on the Pioneer DV-47A. That same review stated that the Marantz 8300 had substatially better sound. Of course, considering the price difference, that's a hardly fair comparison.

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewWinters
Well, my budget is ~ $1000. So the Onkyo would be dramatically above it, currently. But, I may be looking at a longer wait on the amp - so I could spend a little more time saving up - since the source without an amp will do me little good.

I was thinking that by the time I was ready to buy the source, it may have come down in price. As things stand, I am not willing to spend 700 extra bucks for the better looking and *maybe* slightly higher performance source. But if I found reason to believe the singular comparison I found online then it may be worth it if the price could come down somewhat.

You may think I'm shallow for this - but the Onkyo has all the little stylistic things I like: Minimalist, round buttons, blue lights, and it doesn't have a yellowish LCD like the Pioneer. It just looks better. I guess I'm just trying to substantiate my stylistic preference.

Out of curiousity - I have read that some Onkyo players were based on Pioneer OEM units. The feature set of the SP1000 and the DV59-AVi is extremely similar. Hmmm... could they be based on the same design?

EDIT: A Review of the SP800 stated that it was based on the Pioneer DV-47A. That same review stated that the Marantz 8300 had substatially better sound. Of course, considering the price difference, that's a hardly fair comparison.

DrewWinters:

A lot of companies use an OEM Pioneer chassis and PCM to build their own brand name models: Integra, Onkyo, Lexicon, etc. If you think about it, then it is much like modding a stock unit. For example, I got the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. I will send it to ModWright LLC for custom mods. These companies are sort of doing the same thing except they're not taking it to the extreme level that I am about to do. They add their own proprietary circuit boards and add some fancy marketing fluff but it's still a Pioneer Elite OEM chassis and PCBs. So, can you afford to pay more for something that is strikingly similiar to another product? Will you pay more for just a re-branded unit that happens to look better? Are you seriously going to plunk down an extra $750 USD above your budget based on one person's impressions?
blink.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Are you seriously going to plunk down an extra $750 USD above your budget based on one person's impressions?
blink.gif

Nope! That's why I was hoping to find some more people that had heard it!
icon10.gif

Don't worry, you've sold me on the Pioneer...unless I can get the Onkyo for a VERY similar price and be convinced it will be as reliable and perform as well as the Pioneer. Both of those are unlikely to occur within the next month though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back