Onkyo DAC H-200 first impressions
Sep 30, 2015 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Farmer Giles

New Head-Fier
OK quick summary - my usual setup until recently is:

iPod 5.5G iMod by Red Wine Audio
Graham Slee Voyager Portable Amp
Apple Lossless Files predominantly - though some are at 380 kb/s.
Apple iTunes (but not iTunes Music Streaming)
Denon AH-D2000 over ears
Sony MDR-NC500D noise cancelling
Westone W30 in-ears

For various reasons I need a portable setup, and the above have done me proud - particularly the Graham Slee Voyager.

I then got gifted an annual sub to Tidal HiFi and I started listening in different environments and using different kit - not to mention to lots of music I don't yet own - but now have the opportunity to listen properly first..

That started to show the limitations of using a PC, and with only a 2G iPod, various iPads, a Laptop on Win10  and an old iMac to use it was clear..

I needed to take Tidal portable... in the neatest way as an alternate setup.

I had hoped somewhat stupidly that the old iPod 2G might run the Tidal app - but no..
My iPhone 6 does - and so a search for a DAC/Amp that's not going to break the bank - yet be OK enough for the D2000s and the W30's in particular.

I selected the Onkyo DAC HA-200 as my best bet - and bought it blind, without hearing it.

So - paired with the PC and the Denon D2000s the Onkyo DAC HA-200 unit is great.
It makes the Tidal Hi-Fi experience even better.
Rounded, yet clearly analytical sound a nice well managed mid-range without getting to sibillant in the highs and with deep, unconfused bass.
Bear in mind I was already impressed with just the Lenovo Laptop doing the DAC bit for Tidal to the Laptop 3.5mm,
and also with a Sennheiser USB headphone to 3.5mm adaptor/DAC for a PC30 headset used as the DAC for the D2000's.

This Onkyo DAC HA-200 though just makes the sound stage more open and lifelike.
Pretty damn good for the money.

Paired with the iPhone 6 and without the HF Onkyo App, it was fine too, but somehow came alive once the App was started. No need to use the App's iTunes features with Tidal of course - but just having the App loaded in memory made the experience much better.

So now my problems is this...

What small portable device do I use to stream Tidal from WiFi - instead of my iPhone?  

I could buy a new iPod - but that seems a lot of kit - just to stream Tidal.

All comments appreciated..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back